Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expanding bullets

Expanding bullets

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this? I am trying to find in the Home Office Guidance document where it states the rules on purchasing bullets and expanding bullets.
    The reason is I went to a shop yesterday and bought some expanding bullet heads and the person who sold them to me said I could buy as many as I liked as they were just components and not complete bullets. I questioned this as I have had this situation before and when I looked into it expanding heads do have a limit on the amount you can buy but I have searched and searched and cannot fint the information.

Cheers

Pete

Expanding heads need to be written on your certificate as they are section 5 ammunition and count towards your overall ammo allowance wether they are made up rounds or not. Also as they need to be locked away in a suitable ammo box, unlike non expanding heads.
    CZ Mod 2e .22 ~ AI AE 6.5x47 ~ Sako M591 .308

Also, as a general rule a bullet that is said on the packaging to be 'target', 'match' or implied for accuracy performance is classed as non-expanding. Where the packaging says 'hunting', 'game' or implies or says expanding it is expanding.

To also add another complication, some areas do not enforce the rule that a bullet of expanding ready for loading counts as one round of ammunition on your allowance. This is because of confusion when reloaders have stocks of ammunition, non expanding bullets for target shooting and expanding bullets. Because of this in some areas, a few rfd's don't write bullets onto your certificate unless you ask. Always best to clarify with a quick phone call to your local FLO.

Thanks for your replies gents, I have provision on my FAC to possess expanding heads missile 300 ( actually incorrect wording as they should be classed as hitiles as a missile is design to miss a target ) but I also have provision for 6.5x55 expanding 350....how thats interpreted seems to vary from RFD to RFD.

My RFD asks to see my ticket but he doesn't write them on.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by P3T3R View Post
    Expanding heads need to be written on your certificate as they are section 5 ammunition and count towards your overall ammo allowance wether they are made up rounds or not.
    No, sorry but that is not correct.

Expanding bullets/missiles on their own are indeed classified as 'prohibited' items and count towards your overall ammo holding along with complete rounds, but it is specifically mentioned in the HO Guidance that there is no requirement for the RFD to enter them on your FAC - he needs to see that you have the exemption condition to allow you to purchase and possess them but no entry should be made.

3.17 Category (xv) extends the prohibition
    on the various types of prohibited
    ammunition to the actual bullet or missile
    itself, not just the complete round of
    ammunition (a complete round consists of
    the bullet, the cartridge case, the propellant
    and the primer). Certain categories of shooter
    such as deerstalkers and vermin controllers
    are exempt from the requirement to obtain
    the authority of the Secretary of State to
    possess expanding ammunition (see Chapter
    4) and will have the appropriate condition
    entered on their certificate (see Appendix 3).
    There is no need for the bullets to be listed
    separately on the certificate, other than in the
    circumstances described below. However,
    where a certificate holder requests large
    quantities of bullets, it should be remembered
    that the total number of bullets authorised
    counts towards their overall limit on
    possession of expanding ammunition. The
    exception to the rule on listing bullets
    separately on a certificate applies in the case
    of a certificate holder who wishes to possess
    a variety of different types of bullets. This
    may be reflected in a relatively higher
    overall limit on possession and, in these
    circumstances, the bullets may be listed
    separately to help avoid unnecessary
    stockpiling of complete rounds.
    It is not
    necessary for the dealer making the sale to
    record transactions of expanding bullets on
    the certificate but the sale should be recorded
    in the dealerís register.

I carry a copy of the above section with my FAC and have shown it to an RFD who then reversed his intention of recording the sale on my ticket.

Chapter 4 deals with other specifics regarding expanding bullets/missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    To also add another complication, some areas do not enforce the rule that a bullet of expanding ready for loading counts as one round of ammunition on your allowance. This is because of confusion when reloaders have stocks of ammunition, non expanding bullets for target shooting and expanding bullets. Because of this in some areas, a few rfd's don't write bullets onto your certificate unless you ask. Always best to clarify with a quick phone call to your local FLO.
    If anyone is tempted into not sticking with the law on possession of expanding bullets because they believe it's a 'rule' that can be bent to suit their circumstances or on the advice of a mis-informed FLO or RFD, then they are a braver man than me. It's quite clearly laid out in the Firearms Act and the HO Guidance that a single expanding bullet has the same equivilence as a complete round, (see quote from Ch 3.17 above), and you exceed your stated maximum allowances at your own risk.

Thanks for finding that Orion. The reason I wanted it is because I had a situation with my Police force who told me I could buy as many expanding heads as I wanted but I knew I couldnt as they counted towards my limit. I then went to a shop the other day in another area and the shopper owner once again said I could buy as many 'heads expanding' as I wanted. I told him that was incorrect and he said he had been told by his police force that was the case. He asked me if I could possibly find out as he didnt want to fall foul by selling to many 'heads expanding' , for as we both agreed if either the buyer or the seller was found to have exeeeded limits then police force would not admit their mistake.

Yet another example of those who are administering the law being unable to understand it, and with the cutbacks the situation can only get worse in some force areas.

Dealers in Cumbria enter projectiles/bullets/heads/missiles on our tickets.
    I do not object to this as it proves usage of the firearms.

HWH.