Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with a Roe Carcass

Dealing with a Roe Carcass

Can I ask a few practical questions of those who don't have profesional game handling/processing facilites.

1. What do you do with the heart, kidneys and liver - how and when do you use them?

2. How and where do you hang the carcass once you get it home - and how do you protect it?

3. At this time of year, how long do you hang the carcass for?

Cheers.

roe carcass

hi snow storm.

1. i eat the liver and kidneys fried when i get home as fresh as possible. the heart is normally smashed up and the dog gets it.

2. i hang it in the garage covered with a muslin sock thing with a couple of hula hoops in it to keep the flies off. i made mine after visitting ikea and buying the muslin curtians.

3. only 3 days or so. if my coke fridge is working i use that and it can hang in there for a couple of weeks.

it is quite important to prop the chest open with some sticks to help cooling as soon as possible. if it is a roe or muntjac and i do a full "non dsc" grallock including head, feet and red offal i will hang the carcass in a tree propped open.

swampy

Dealing with a carcase

Hi Snowstorm,

Liver, thinly sliced, coated with seasond flour and quickly fried in butter along with mashed potatoes, is delicious.
    Venison liver pate' is good also.

Devilled kidneys (when mrs Techman will do them for me).

Heart is often minced along with Shoulders to make burgers.

Now, before I had my chiller the deer would need butchering within 24 hours in the summer. However, if you have room in your fridge, place the joints on a mesh with a tray underneath to catch the blood and the meat will mature quite well.
    Check the meat daily and your nose will tell you when it should be packed for the freezer.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Snowstorm

One other option - dogs love dried liver, and it's a lot cheaper than buying processed dog treats . I'll often cut the liver into small cubes, dry it in the oven and then use it for dog training.

Regards

willie_gunn

Liver - either coated in flour and fried gently in butter, served with bacon mash and butter fried onions (yep I know, not very healthy but I tell myself that venison has so little fat that I can afford the odd indulgence in frying it in butter...), Or,alternatively turned into venison liver pate - gorgeous on toasted brown bread!

Heart - assuming the bullet hasn't wrecked it, stuffed with some suitable stuffing, then enclosed loosley in aluminium foil and roasted in the oven - absolutely fabulous!

Not having any chlling facilites, in summer I hang a Roe in my garage, usually for 1 to 2 days, enclosed in a Roe net.

I have an arrangement with my local butcher to use his coldstore.
    I deliver the carcase to him, he hangs it for as long as he thinks, then gives me it back butchered and the offcutts made into sausage,
    last weeks buck cost me 15.

cheating?
    perhaps but I think the finished cuts are worthwhile, and why make life difficult?

edit for crap spellin

bobt,

You'r very lucky your butcher is prepared to do that for you. Mine wont touch my carcasses for fear of contamination of his domestic carcasses. Means i can't hang my meat for very long and am limited in my butchery skills - still i have a good go at it and have fun.

Now, all i need is to find some stalking....

sp4rkman

Quote Originally Posted by sp4rkman
    bobt,

You'r very lucky your butcher is prepared to do that for you. Mine wont touch my carcasses for fear of contamination of his domestic carcasses. Means i can't hang my meat for very long and am limited in my butchery skills - still i have a good go at it and have fun.

Now, all i need is to find some stalking....

sp4rkman
    S'man, if you look at the Deer Commission for Scotland website www.dcs.gov.uk, look under the best practice then guides section, and they have some superb guidance on butchery - lots of pictures and descriptions of how to joint & steak a deer. Although the piccies show Red's, I have found them equally applicable to Roe! Once I read (and printed out) most of that, my butchery skills leapt from pretty poor to reasonably good (in my humble opinion of course!!)
    Rgds

RH

Snowstorm,
    I use the liver and kidneys in sausages it gives them a real meaty flavour, but don't use anything near the rut.
    If you hang carcasses in a chill make sure that you clean out the cavity of blood otherwise it will go mouldy and ruin the carcass.A drying chill will give you a better carcass.
    10 days would be about normal for us, less if its a stag/buck..

regards
    griff

Thanks Roe Hunter - some excellent images on there.