Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Over barrel moderator

Over barrel moderator

I am looking for an over barrel light weight moderator,
    Any suggestions would be helpful.

DM80 comes in lighter than a T8,

Got a DM 80 on my tikka 223, but am seriously considering 3rd eye spartan overbarrel for 243 when it comes.

Got a wildcat pred 8 compact myself, which is nice and small/light, quiet and very easy to strip/clean. Have had the full length version and its not really noticeably different in sound reduction. Better than the DM80 I have heard. Will probably be selling this as don't intend to run any of my rifles moderated anymore.

The Sparton reflex (over-barrel) weighs 450g, the Wildcat P8 weighs 690g according to their site and my T8 weighs just slightly more.

I have done some research on moderators and the Sparton is the lightest reflex (over-barrel) I have found marketed.

There is a Sako for sale which has a CP moderator fitted, I had never heard of them and could not find them on the web so i rang the shop. I was told by the shop owner that it is an aluminum copy of a T8.

With muzzle-cans again, if weight is an issue then the Roedale with two stainless baffles fitted, and two aluminium ones, weighs 225g, an all aluminium Roedale IV weighs 175g, a V weighs 200g. The fully aluminium A-Tec CMM4 weighs 220g.

If you want value for money, and will use a muzzle can, with probably the best noise reduction of any moderator currently mass marketed, then look no further than this site as Jager SA has the A-Tec CMM6 for sale at 190. Outstanding value!

Simon
    Last edited by flytie; 19-04-2011 at 10:20. Reason: idiocy
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

The new Atec Maxim sounds interesting too, looking forward to having a look at one: it's an over barrel version of the CMM with some stainless baffles.

ATB
    Moses

Thanks fellas,
    Some useful info there.

I found that the spartan mod was very loud.
    The Northstar mod was more than 50% quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by RWC2010 View Post
    RWC, What measuring device did you use to establish the noise difference between the two?

Northstars are good, as well as being just over 50% (more than 225g) heavier than the Sparton. The Sparton is stippable too, unlike the Northstar. The attenuation of the Northstar is not as good as the Jet-Z, or the S5, and that is using Jackson's published figures.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by RWC2010 View Post
    That would worry me because the Northstar beside at A-Tec CCM6 sounded loud.

ATB

Tahr