Feel like I've been Robbed!

Ghurka

Got to tell you all what happened to me on Sunday.......

I am relatively new to this game, and in 18 months I have only managed to pick up one permission which to be honest if I invited some of you around for a stalk you would laugh because the shootable area is literally one large field!

Anyway after a 45 minute drive at 4.30am I arrive to look for my first buck. I spotted a couple of does in the middle of my field in the fog so i stalk around them to see if the bucks are close behind. Sure enough 2 bucks became visible as I got closer so going into full stalking mode i get closer.........next thing I hear a crack and a buck hits the deck! Then I spot three people against the hedge, looks like a stalker with clients.

Anyway after speaking to the guy it turns out that he has the stalking on most of the adjacent farms and also knows my friend who is the owner of the field!! Obviously I saw nothing else that morning..its not like I could try another area, and there is no point in me going around to ask cos its all sewn up by the guy!

So I have just one field to stalk on and I still have to share it!!

I am seriously thinking of taking up fishing instead! I didnt catch his name but if you are out there and you fancy sharing a couple of your fields then pm me..or do you have any fishing gear for sale??

Lifes a bitch might be worth talking to him and i would ask my Farmer if he wa allowed to shoot the same deer as you. There could be a safty issue.:scared:

I wouldn't take his word for it.... just because he claims to know your friend doesn't mean he has permission to shoot deer on his land. Are you sure he wasn't shooting over the boundary onto your ground?

Ghurka,
Always make sure you have a written agreement to stalk. I would also insist you know who else has permission.
The possibility of someone else doing something dangerous and unsafe and you getting the blame is not worth the hassle.

Keep at it and remember "patience is a virtue" as i have learned over many years at the fishing before i got my first stalking permission. Stalking is like catching your first Salmon on your very own tied fly, sometimes it takes a while but the end result is well worth it.

Dalkur

Mate, thats pants.. ive been there myself, not with deer luckily but other shooting.. theres nothing worse! at best its gutting that what you thought was yours is not and at worst, that could have been a serious accident. If the farmer has given you permission then i would be going to air my concerns regarding safety. Either theres a booking in/out system which could be a simple text between you and the other guy or going through the farmer OR one of you have to go. If its literally one big field then you could try explaining yourself to the other stalker and see if he will help you out, i mean we have all been there.

To be honest, if the situation didnt change, i would be moving on. Its frustrating, dangerous and a waste of everyones time.

PS: Ive got a load of top notch beach fishing gear i dont need!! ;)

what a bitch :rolleyes: some folks are just born lucky others just aint :cry: my boss went fishing last week with his mate they were trolling out the back and got a fish on ,his mate was playing it whilst boss man had oars in hand .the other rod went bang another fish on! it being a hardy rod went over the side and into the drink like a submarine thats unlucky ! they were both very pis**d off and carried on fishing after about an hour boss hit another fish but on playing it discovered it was his mates line complete with rod and fish all 3lb of rainbow ,nows thats lucky especially as it was grafham water which is huge .
so you never know whats round the corner keep trying good luck favors the brave !:)

i have to share my ground with other stalkers but we never meet as i always check with the land owner and the other guy does the same. although i would like to meet the other guy stalking as he told the land owner that he would never hear him shoot. which springs the question exactly what rifle is he using. apparently he recently shot a roe doe from a high seat got down to look at it then noticed another in the orchard so had that one too. and all in a 300 yard area from the seat. either hes really lucky in which case i want his lottery numbers or something fishy is going on. but thats another story.

good luck with finding more land and defineatly talk to the land owner.

Safety is definately my concern, that morning it was very foggy and you couldnt see the opposite hedgeline through the binos. Spoke to the landowner and without going into detail things arent adding up. If he is the neighbouring stalker then its best to be a friend than a foe, turn a negative into a positive and all that! Thing is the landowner has no name or contact number either???
Are you out there ????

Ive had similar discussions on some of my permissions. Ive stressed that as a land owner, you have a duty of care to people on there, how can you let someone who you dont know their name or have means of contact go shooting with any gun on your land! Its beyond me. It needs pointing out to the landowner about recent and old stories of people getting shot and that it should be on his shoulders if someone was to get injured. Why is the farmer letting more than one person control the deer or any other vermin anyways? It sounds very similar to problems ive had in the past. Its also worth mentioning that 'management' of any type needs a controlled view. How can anyone get a true picture of numbers etc if you dont know what others have shot? Farmers are better off having a core of dedicated people (you!) to do an effective job with whatever quarry your after and actually by letting many people on is detrimental to controlling vermin and deer.

Some farmers think the more people shooting, the faster their problems will go away. Im speaking only from my personal experiences.

Hi Ghurka,

I am always wary of those who SAY they have it all sewn up! Many places are not sewn up quite as tight as some would have you believe. It's worth confirming this with the landowners. If it is, and the landowners are happy with the arrangements, then so be it. But if the landowners are unhappy with the way things are being run, then it is in the 'stalkers' interests to keep you away from the place, and a word with the landowner might reveal quite another story.

You only need to ask, and then you'll know.

Good luck mate

Your right to be concerned , you say you couldnt see the far hedgeline . Should either one of you been shooting in those conditions

I would want to double check with your landowner if the other bloke is just assuming he has rights he is stealing not just poaching there was a case of someone in the south doing similer about a year ago he was taking clients onto land and shooting where no permission existed and I think he lost his FAC.
If he is indeed exceeding his boundry then call on neighbour explain where your boundries are and ask who has thier stalking as you wish to discuss the matter with them. You may get a surprise and find yourself with a bit extra,

I am lucky in that on all of my permissions bar one I have "sole permission", the problems comes in where there are two or more of you that share a permission. I always call the land owners before I go shooting so that they know that I am going out on their land and of course they can tell me which fields the livestock are in so I am fore warned of any potential dangers. The problem arises where the landowner might not know if there is another shooter (Who has permission) on the land, which actually happened to me one night while lamping rabbits. On the "shared permission" the land owner did not know that the other shooter was out, and nor did I till I found a lamp attached to a .243 shining my way - Believe me, I was not a happy egg!
Could this have been a similar situation to what you experienced my friend? If so I would say it was cause for a lot of concern! Add to that shooting in the fog - As you said, the fog was such that you could not see the hedge on the far side of the field - I'm sorry but I have to ask, do you think this was safe conditions for even you to be out stalking in? In the interest of safety I personally will not even unlock my gun cabinet if there is fog about! I also avoid permissions where I know someone else has permission! Accidents can happen, especially where there are more than one shooter involved, but once they have happened unfortunately you can not "unhappen" them!!!

Thanks to all for your advice,

I shall be knocking on the neighbouring farmers doors just to check that all is above board. As stated it may lead to something positive?

Ghurka
no offence here intended

But what exactley is your issue here
are you concerned that you are sharing a piece of ground??
or are concerned that the neighbouring stalker who has an informal agreement has done the job for you as you ****ed around??
or is it a bit or arrogance on your part as you hav tried to stalk into a beast or 2 with out noticing the other stalker that is on on the ground??
who is the unsafe one in this senario ??

Trouble
very good question in the situ that has arised

Ghurka
if you want my opinion then here it is
your farmer mate needs to make clear the situ
if he/she can't then you need their backing when a dispute arises
the other stalker you need to trace and make sure they know you stalk that particular ground on a regular basis and they need to contact you before they intend to stalk it which is like wise
and make sure you hav a letter of permission of your farmer mate just incase it goes tits up so you are covered

Well again another offensive post :rolleyes:

Gurkha turns up on his only small piece of ground and finds someone else stalking it. Now if it is true, and I have no reason to disbelieve him, then I would be one ****ed off person.

Wouldnt you be!

Malc
I presume your post is aimed at my good self
ifso

I ask a simple question here

if you did not know the whole facts which ghurka does not as his post suggests , his words not mine
who is right and who is wrong??
I symphasie as 1 piece of ground I stalk ground which is subject to the same confusion , so can see the other side of the situ
my comments is based on what I hav to deal with
not on what I think
and that does make a difference

Ghurka
no offence here intended

But what exactley is your issue here
are you concerned that you are sharing a piece of ground??
or are concerned that the neighbouring stalker who has an informal agreement has done the job for you as you ****ed around??
or is it a bit or arrogance on your part as you hav tried to stalk into a beast or 2 with out noticing the other stalker that is on on the ground??
who is the unsafe one in this senario ??

Trouble
very good question in the situ that has arised

Ghurka
if you want my opinion then here it is
your farmer mate needs to make clear the situ
if he/she can't then you need their backing when a dispute arises
the other stalker you need to trace and make sure they know you stalk that particular ground on a regular basis and they need to contact you before they intend to stalk it which is like wise
and make sure you hav a letter of permission of your farmer mate just incase it goes tits up so you are covered

Jesus wept, where did all of that vitriol come from?! Wouldn't you be ****ed off, despite your obviously superhuman powers of perception (albeit slightly sub-human standard of common decency), to find that your only patch of ground unexpectedly has another stalker on it. Why would you be on the look out for camouflaged, armed and probably concealed people on your ground if you have no reason to expect them to be there.

Patrick is a perfectly decent guy who takes his stalking seriously, is a very good shot and has simply been unfortunate to live in a stupid part of the country that has too many stalkers in it, hence his lack of land. If he can't voice his disappointment to a sympathetic audience on here, where can he? Most of us who have land to stalk realise how lucky we are and those that don't will readily identify with Patrick's plight. The last thing he needs is snide arsey comments :rolleyes:

Adam.

Last edited:
Back