I might have Lymes Disease!

Adamant

I have had precautionary tests for Lymes disease in the past, after incurring lots of the little horrors on extended Scotland trips, but have never tested positive. recently, I have been experiencing serious joint pain and inflammation in my hands, feet and neck, getting progressively more debilitating over the last couple of months. I have seen my GP and have had various test for rheumatoid arthritis and even for gout - thankfully I have recently lost three stone, so they can't do the usual thing and tell me it's all because I'm a fat git. I have had a similar short bout of joint pain a few years ago, not diagnosed and not treated with anything other than NSAID painkillers.

However, it has just occurred to me that I might just possibly have Lymes, as apparently it's not unusual to have one symptom such as joint pain, without all tha flu-like symptoms. Has anyone else experienced Lymes-related joint pain and if so, how well did it respond to treatment?

And yes, trip back to the GP has now been organised!

Adam.

I would imagine either sporiatic arthritis or neck arthritis, as lyme disease in my understanding leaves a circular red ring where the infection took place, and left untreated for a few months, can create nerve-system issues including fainting, blurred vision, etc. etc. then again, my medical understanding is limited to that of being a son of a GP, so just a few ideas...

Hope you get better, and let us know what the outcome was if you wish to share..

Hello Adam - - I have a sister and nephew both with Lyme Disease, who have had it for many years. As far as they were concerned it seemed to take a very long time to diagnose. Hopefully things have speeded up somewhat nowadays although I'm not sure what definitive tests are available. All I can suggest is that you really push your Doctor into ensuring that you have tests as soon as possible. The speedier treatment is given, the more effective it is.

I hope you are well soon.

JR

Hi Adam,

Not had Lymes disease myself, but my stalking partner had it diagnosed about 5 years ago, and it still knocks him flat for a few weeks each year now. I believe the only way for a positive diagnosis is with a lumbar puncture!

I wish you well

ATB

Tom

A straight forward blood test should find anti bodies if you have it. I think I am right in saying that there are only 4 places in the UK that test for it. It affects people in different ways, and can go undetected for a long time.

I know I suffered joint pains, but then I have problems with my knees anyway. My problem when I had it was double vision and falling asleep all the time, but I caught mine very early and was put on a course of antibiotics straight away.

If you are not sure GO AND GET TESTED, do not leave it, treat it seriously. If not treated properly it will really screw you up.

All the best.

Sikamalc

Damn I fall asleep all the time.. Cannot no read a book as I doze off. Joint pain well with arthritus well you get it perhaps I had better ask the quack and see what they say.................................... that is if I can get an appointment sometime this year.

I have had precautionary tests for Lymes disease in the past, after incurring lots of the little horrors on extended Scotland trips, but have never tested positive. recently, I have been experiencing serious joint pain and inflammation in my hands, feet and neck, getting progressively more debilitating over the last couple of months. I have seen my GP and have had various test for rheumatoid arthritis and even for gout - thankfully I have recently lost three stone, so they can't do the usual thing and tell me it's all because I'm a fat git. I have had a similar short bout of joint pain a few years ago, not diagnosed and not treated with anything other than NSAID painkillers.

However, it has just occurred to me that I might just possibly have Lymes, as apparently it's not unusual to have one symptom such as joint pain, without all tha flu-like symptoms. Has anyone else experienced Lymes-related joint pain and if so, how well did it respond to treatment?

And yes, trip back to the GP has now been organised!

Adam.

Hi Adam

I came down with Lyme Disease about 2years ago. I was bitten in the August (painful place to be bitten :eek:). The bite didnt show the target circle type of rash and i thought nothing more of it ( i have since found out you dont always get the "typical" rash). It wasnt until November of the same year that i came down with excruciating pains in my hands, knees and also in my joints and i had the flu type symptoms. The pain was such that i could hardly use my hand. But the strange thing was that over night that would reduce to a dull ache and another joint/muscle would have flared up. I didnt know what it was ( i have a serious medical complaint already) and it was until a mate happened to ask if it could be Lyme I went to the Dr. I TOLD her i had Lyme. She put me on the anti bio's immediately as a precaution and took a blood sample. I was advised that the test doesn't always work so it was safer to have the anti bio's in any event. Within a couple of weeks all was back to normal. When the blood tests came back they were negative for Lyme - but the antibios sorted it.

A positive side effect is that the anti bios also treat syphillis:lol::oops::eek:

The longer you leave it the worse the consequences can be - so get to your Dr asap - even as an emergency patient.

Hope the above helps and you get things sorted asap

Andrew

Lymes disease - coming to the end of six month treatment. Was bitten by ticks and then felt awful - as if I had walked up three munros with a stag on my back and sea sick all the time. Pain at the back of the head and joints aching and painful. Antibiotic treatment works, but takes time.

The test they use for Lymes is ony 40% specific, ie will only pick up Lymes disease in 40% of cases, and it only works if you have had it a while, been able to fight it off and thus developed the antibodies. My Infestious disease consultant here in Edinburgh did and doesn't rely on tests, much more goes on the symptoms. I left it for three weeks from being bitten to start of treatment, and am still suffering six months later. OK I am better, but have no energy and only able to work part time.

But long term I should be OK

Hi Adam

I came down with Lyme Disease about 2years ago. I was bitten in the August (painful place to be bitten :eek:). The bite didnt show the target circle type of rash and i thought nothing more of it ( i have since found out you dont always get the "typical" rash). It wasnt until November of the same year that i came down with excruciating pains in my hands, knees and also in my joints and i had the flu type symptoms. The pain was such that i could hardly use my hand. But the strange thing was that over night that would reduce to a dull ache and another joint/muscle would have flared up. I didnt know what it was ( i have a serious medical complaint already) and it was until a mate happened to ask if it could be Lyme I went to the Dr. I TOLD her i had Lyme. She put me on the anti bio's immediately as a precaution and took a blood sample. I was advised that the test doesn't always work so it was safer to have the anti bio's in any event. Within a couple of weeks all was back to normal. When the blood tests came back they were negative for Lyme - but the antibios sorted it.

A positive side effect is that the anti bios also treat syphillis:lol::oops::eek:

The longer you leave it the worse the consequences can be - so get to your Dr asap - even as an emergency patient.

Hope the above helps and you get things sorted asap

Andrew

Your right there Scrunny the antibiotics treat just about everything :eek: in fact it reads like the label on a bottle of Domestos, kills all known germs dead!! :lol::lol:

But on a serious note, anyone who thinks they may have Lymes go and get it checked. I have mentioned this before I know, but seeing the lady at the CLA a couple of years back in a wheelchair and also partially sighted through Lymes is not funny.

Treat it seriously!!

SikaMalc - please can admin put a sticky to the Lymes Disease action site so can get information readily.

If it is Lymes that I have (rather than Syphillis :eek:), then I suspect this is my second bout, with the previous bout being undiagnosed and untreated. I was unaware of the existence of Lymes then, and I don't think it crosses the mind of local GPs as there is a very low tick burden in this area - I have only seen a couple of ticks out of more than a hundred deer shot on home ground over three years.

I am seeing my GP in an hour and will be asking for the full battery of tests...my only slight concern is that I already appear to have some permanent damage to my toe joints from the previous round of joint pain. I didn't have a rash on either occasion and I wouldn't necessarily have connected flu-like symptoms with painful joints at that time.

Either way, something is wrong - whether it's Lymes, rheumatoid arthritis or a galloping dose of the clap...

A.

Last edited:
I wouldnt wish Lymes on my worst enemy. According to my consultant Im apparently in the "recovery" stage, Post Viral Fatifue to give it its posh name, unfortunately the recovery stage symptoms are EXACTLY the same as the Lymes itself.

At the start I had been getting steroid injections in my knees as I couldnt manage a day on the hill because of the pain, it got to the stage one day at the dens that I thought I was going to need a chopper to get me off the hill, they diagnosed it as a dodgy Tibia Band. I then started getting extreme fatigue, so much so that my leg would shake when I held the clutch pedal down, I had the strength of a kitten, couldnt drag beasts, couldnt stand having a blether, I would need to sit or lean on something nearby. I once fell asleep face down at the kitchen table while the missus was making a roll for me. Headaches, brain fog, dizzy and blurred vision was an every day occurance. My Doc put it down to taking to many puffs on my Asthma inhaler!!!

I got a second opinion a few months later and BINGO, Lymes Disease. I went on a 3 (or was it 4?) month course of Doxycycline, no improvements after the course and the headaches were getting worse, I started to think something was seriously wrong! I was booked into hospital to have a Lumber Puncture done to see if the Lymes had gone into my spinal cord, if the test came back positive I was to attend hospital everyday for a month to have the antibiotics by injection. Luckily it was negative and slowly the headaches went from constant to once a day to once every couple of days. Now, 5 months after the LP I only get headaches if Im out in bright sunlight, driving in the dark/snow or if I put a high demand on my brain. The fatigue is still there but not to the extent it was, I still get alot of muscle twitching and heart racing but slowly (and I mean slowly) bit by bit they are subsiding.

Ive started at the gym a couple night a week, just 40 mins on the bike and once round the cardio machines just to try and build myself back up, my core muscles are as good as not there, its a bit like when you have broke an arm/leg and had it in a cast for 6 weeks, once that cast come off its never as strong as your other arm/leg.

Sorry Ive twittered on but I feel that there is very little out there regarding Lymes and people really should be aware. Ive basically spent 2 years worrying and being as good as a man short.

If you or anyone wants to know more about the symptoms/treatments ect please dont hesitate to PM me and Il pass over my number.

P.S Not tonight, im away out to sort a lamb killer :D

Hi Adam,

Don't know who your quack is but Dr King over in Kington made the first Lyme diagnosis in the County, some 20 years ago. When I had a bout of lurgy and mystery rash he pinged it straight away and got me on the antibiotics that day. Bloods off to Southampton, which came back a week or so later as me having Lyme antibodies, but not in sufficient concentration to cause the disease?:confused: I'd have thought you either have it or you haven't, but apparently not. I had a further 14 days of antibiotics just to be on the safe side and am now right as I'm ever going to be.

When you see the Doc ask for (demand?) the course of pills - they wont do you any harm and they may well head off a nasty disease.

Hope you get it sorted soonest.

Hi Adam,

Don't know who your quack is but Dr King over in Kington made the first Lyme diagnosis in the County, some 20 years ago. When I had a bout of lurgy and mystery rash he pinged it straight away and got me on the antibiotics that day. Bloods off to Southampton, which came back a week or so later as me having Lyme antibodies, but not in sufficient concentration to cause the disease?:confused: I'd have thought you either have it or you haven't, but apparently not. I had a further 14 days of antibiotics just to be on the safe side and am now right as I'm ever going to be.

When you see the Doc ask for (demand?) the course of pills - they wont do you any harm and they may well head off a nasty disease.

Hope you get it sorted soonest.

Chris,

As you'd expect, Leominster doctors are better with teenage pregnancy, Methadone scripts and warning about the dangers of inbreeding. However they have taken blood - 'almost an arm full' - and it's off to be tested. I am going back tomorrow to see my normal GP and discuss antibiotics, probably after they've looked up Lymes Disease on Google. Interestingly, all of the indicator blood tests for arthritis have come back negative, so apparently it isn't that.

By this time of day my knees, thumb joints and shoulder joints in particular are so painful that basic tasks are a challenge. I recognise Dan Gliballs's comments above - I fell asleep mid sentence when talking to my builder recently and Gadget has a number of stories about me falling asleep in stupid places, at a pub table in Ireland being one of them, and that was BEFORE the drinking had started...

If this does turn out to be Lymes and not AIDS, Swine Flu or Canine Distemper, it looks as if I have had it and not recognised it for some considerable time, so let's hope there's not too much damage. As it is, I may never dance the Lambada again!

Adam.

Hi Adam,
Good luck for a speedy cure and recovery whether it is Lyme or any of your other list of considered possibilities!!

All the very best, Richard

Back