Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cormorant control

Cormorant control

A lawyer friend has asked me for some advice, his club fishery is being Shag*ed by Shags & Cormorants.
    Being in the profession that he is in he cannot just, "Shoot, shovel & shut up ".
    Does anyone know how he can LEGALLY get a licence to control them ? We would very much appreciate your help.

yes you can get a special licence to shoot cormorants but the club will need evidence that they are causing a problem, not just a say so.

... and after all other methods have been exhausted
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

In Scotland we would need to apply to the Scottish Executive to be granted a license for Cormorants, Seals, Herons ect.

Once you have jumped through all the correct hoops, provided evidence that they are a financial drain to your business and also proved that scare cannons, scarecrows, flashing lights and regular patrols dont work and are lucky enough to gain approval then dont expect to be allowed to shoot more than a half dozen.

The thing is, they dont specify which 6 you can shoot
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 19-04-2011 at 19:12.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    The thing is, they dont specify which 6 you can shoot
    My experience as well, our licence was from English Nature though.

We found 17HMR was best, but whatever you use it can be a complete bugger to work out a safe shot, they are either on the water or roosting on something high. We got around it by providing a 3 foot high roost on a small island, then used a high seat from the side of the lake, the height of the roost meant that misses/thru &thrus went into the earth bank opposite rather than hitting the water.

Shooting as a guest on a driven pheasant shoot near Southport a few years ago, on the third drive of the day the gun on my right hand side shot a beautifull left and right on 2 cormorants and no one batted an eye lid or said anything so at the end of the day I said to the shoot captain why did no one say anything and his reply was that the chap owned a fishery 2 fields behind the line and the 2 cormorants were going in that direction and he had a licence to cull 2 cormorants job done.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    Shooting as a guest on a driven pheasant shoot near Southport a few years ago, on the third drive of the day the gun on my right hand side shot a beautifull left and right on 2 cormorants and no one batted an eye lid or said anything so at the end of the day I said to the shoot captain why did no one say anything and his reply was that the chap owned a fishery 2 fields behind the line and the 2 cormorants were going in that direction and he had a licence to cull 2 cormorants job done.
    can't beat it

yes apply to defra for licence and as long as you can prove you have them on your water you will get a licence to shoot them as it is now proven that they are a problem all fisheries in my patch who have applied and shown they have them on water have got licence to shoot them

webby

Check out the Welsh Assembly Goverment website, either enter general licenses in the search box, or go to the agricultural / Animal health pages. You could also get some advice from the Environment Agency.

Ade

Thanks for your help, I will follow up your leads.

You can apply for alicence with Natural England, see link below:

Natural England - Fish-eating birds

However, I would adviseyou first to get in touch with your local Environment AgencyFisheries Team. They can help with advice on preventing predation (egfish refuges). The licence from NE will only be for a very smallnumber of birds. Culling at such low levels does not work, sincethere are 1000s of cormorants that will take the place of the culledbirds.

Cheers,

Peri