.22lr high velocity

mickjgardner

Does anybody know which is likely to be the best high velocity 22 lr round in terms of velocity and accuraccy.Plenty of fast ones like the stinger but found them very inaccurate.I.know it may vary on what rifle you have but would be very grateful of any experiece anyone has with different hv rounds thanks

you need to wake up Mr Muir!

I have used Winchester Laser which were fairly accurate. but to be honest I rarely use HV in 22

I'm awake. That rimfire test is interesting but inconclusive. Three, 5-ahot groups is not indicative of anything when it comes to judging ammunition. When I decide to shoot an ammunition I shoot several hundred, to 1000 rounds before I determine it's worth. In the end, it's not always the group size, but the reliability of the ammo in question to repeatedly deliver it's mean average. I am good friends with a statistician of remarkable abilities and we were discussing accuracy, and the standards we would like to set for rimfire ammo, and the question was asked: which is better? Ammo that puts 9 shots into a bug-hole at 100M and tosses the 10th one out an inch? Or an ammunition that shoots round, ten-shot 1" groups? The answer is, of course, the latter. If you think it's the same-same, think again. If you were shooting a 100 yard Small Bore target with a one-inch diameter "X" ring in the middle of a 2" ten ring, the former would score 100-9X. The latter a 100-10X, winning the match. The lure of the occasional 1-hole group you'd get from the former ammo is strong, but not reliable in the long run.

With my philosophy about rimmy ammo out, I'd say look to CCI Mini-Mag solids. I have found these to be very reliable in about every gun I've fired them from. If they shoot a half inch at 25M from your rifle, you can pretty much count on that half inch, lot to lot. I know you can't get Aguila easily, but I'd vote for their Super Extra High Velocity, 40 grain solids above all other "high" (not hyper) velocity ammo. It is my gold standard for accuracy. This is a 50M groups using the HV 40 grain...~Muir
Brno50ydsAguilaHVSERED-1.jpg

i had no idea the Win Laser stuff I was using was so quick compared to others around 1400fps!

also having read that article it says the same:
"One thing I have learnt from running this test, and that is the incredible inconsistency with all of the ammo tested, except the ELEY TENEX.

You get one group that goes into one ragged hole about a third of an inch, and the next one is spread over 5 times that area. You can hear different reports from each round, as some of them go supersonic. Some of them have wax over most of the brass case, which got into the chamber, causing some cases to stick, this required frequent cleaning of the chamber. We cleaned the rifles barrels before the test, but no cleaning was done in between."

I have gotten some decent accuracy with Velocitors, from some Lots, but other Lots were really inconsistent. (read, junk) Stingers have never given consistent accuracy, from any rifle I shoot them in.

I tested some 36 grain ammo the other night that came in "bulk" packaging: a cardboard carton with 333 rounds. My first four, five shot groups gave sterling accuracy; about .3" at 25M from a light sporter. The next twenty, five-shot groups averaged .64" at the same distance. I switched back to my bench-mark ammunition and the groups were tight and round. Back to the 36 grain bulk ammo and I got consistent .6" groups for the next 100 rounds.

This bulk stuff isn't bad ammo, it just isn't the most accurate in my rifle. Good enough for rabbits? You bet. Good enough for off hand practice on clay birds out to 50M? Sure. My first choice? No. But I'm kind of a rim fire freak. I'm going to keep some of this 36 grain around but when the playing card splitting competition begins and the money is on the table, I'll be shooting something my rifle likes better!~Muir

Yesterday afternoon recieved 1000 Federal 31 grain "Game Shok" (1400 fps) that shot remarkably well. They have a long parallel-sided profile despite their light weight. I shot 500 of them at 25 and 50M last evening (from seven different .22 rifles) at paper, twigs, paintballs, bits of clay bird. I saw nothing that would exclude them from head shooting rabbit-sized game at 50-75M.~Muir

CCI Stingers in a Sako Finnfire.... Accurate and fast.... NICE

Sticks. Can I ask,How may different LOTs of Stinger have you fired in your SAKO? I have never gotten consistent accuracy over the long haul, tho I had one LOT several years back that shot like match ammo in my Marlin 880SSQ.~Muir

muir

do your new ferderals ricochet much. i only ask as last night i had 10 rabbits in a couple of hours. 12 shots and 3 ricochets only one of which was from missing the target. i was on about 14 acres so which ever way i shoot the boundarys of the land are quite close

Last edited:
Lapua Speed Ace work for me in all my rifles. Accurate and repeatable velocity. Fine at 100yards except in a wind. They suffer like all high velocity .22 in side winds. Not hollow point but damn good ammo!

Lapua Speed Ace work for me in all my rifles. Accurate and repeatable velocity. Fine at 100yards except in a wind. They suffer like all high velocity .22 in side winds. Not hollow point but damn good ammo!

i know theres the population is no tas built up in dorset as my sister lives there but do the solid bullets ricochet. just trying to find a solution to ricochet from my .22 lr as i had to stop using last summer due to "lively" bullets and want to find something other than .17 hmr if possible

Ricochets are a good timely reminder to only shoot where you've got a good backdrop whatever you're shooting. All 22 rimfire bullets will ricochet - you've really got to accept the fact.

I've been using CCI stingers running at 1640fps with adequate accuracy and precision.
Statistically it could be argued that the second data set you referred to Muir are the the more accurate and precise round as the one shot/10 could easily be classed as an outliar and discluded from the data set (using dixons outliar test). If you use xbar +/- the square root of ts over n taking 2 as an approximation of t for a 95% confidence interval (5% significance) then you can see the one shot outside of the 5% significance level is indeed an outliar.
One of the easiest ways to see the effect of barrel warming on shots is to plot the cusum vs shot number on a cusum chart and observe the trend of change in impact point relative to barrel temperature. (now if that didnt send you lot asleep, nowt will :))

I've been using CCI stingers running at 1640fps with adequate accuracy and precision.
Statistically it could be argued that the second data set you referred to Muir are the the more accurate and precise round as the one shot/10 could easily be classed as an outliar and discluded from the data set (using dixons outliar test). If you use xbar +/- the square root of ts over n taking 2 as an approximation of t for a 95% confidence interval (5% significance) then you can see the one shot outside of the 5% significance level is indeed an outliar.
One of the easiest ways to see the effect of barrel warming on shots is to plot the cusum vs shot number on a cusum chart and observe the trend of change in impact point relative to barrel temperature. (now if that didnt send you lot asleep, nowt will :))

SNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRREEEEE........wHAT thE??!!....Uh....(scratch) (Yawn!) What happened! :D

I never toss out data. If I didn't want it I'd not bothered to gather it. I have some folks tell me that they will toss out the farthest shot in a group and I ask, why? If it's not going to be of any consequence, it will show itself in time and repetition. If it is of consequence, that will show up as well and worthy of note. But that's just me....~Muir

Oh they are worthy of note, just statistically they do not form part of the normal distribution of data so are mathematically discluded. In some cases the outliars can be more important than the 'normal' data.

About three years ago I got the .22 'bug.' I had a Remington 541S, and bought a well used BRNO #1 and #4. A year later I bought another #4. They all shoot well. With expensive ammo, $12 and up for a box of 50, all will shoot under 1/2" 5 shot groups @ 50yds. With most Mid price range target they will shoot around 1/2" groups with 3-4 close and 1or2 opening up the group some. After that most ammo is a crap shoot depending on your gun. You're just going to have to buy a box or two of several rounds and try. Heck you'll have a blast and get trigger time! FWIW. I shoot hundreds of rounds w/out cleaning. But you should know that it usually takes about 25 rounds to season a barrel when you switch ammo, not clean, just switch. In general, CCI mini mag hollow points shoot relatively well out of my guns as do Velocitors. If your shots are at less hardy game and under 50 yds or so, the winchester sub sonic hollow points made in Australia shoot real well and have a large cavity that opens well. You might start with these first and see how they work. capt david

Back