Has anyone fitted a s&b 8+56 to a Remington sps tactical

Oli223

Has anyone fitted one, mine has a picatinny rail and looks like a standard 30 mm mount will do the job or will I need a high mount. Obviously want it as close to the barrel as possible. Any ideas of anyone who has done the job, and where did you buy it from.. The 30mm mounts seem to be much less common.
Regards oli

Sounds like a straightforward setup, where have you been looking for mounts? 30mm mounts for a picatinny rail are not uncommon!

Whilst it's desirable to have it as low as possible for better cheek weld, if you're using a mod on the end of a long barrel, you might see a shadow in the scope if you're too low.

Your choice of mount will depend on your barrel contour and the height of your rail, you'll need to measure everything to work it out, most branded mounts will quote how high they are.

I've been on to Cheshire Gun Room they only have 30mm in standard Quick release and want £80, so are dreaming. I've no other good gun shops which aren't a fair drive away, so was going to go mail order. I've been on js ramsbottoms and uttings web sights but not sure which one to go for. Glad you mentioned the moderator, never even thought of that. It's an A tec and doesn't stick up much but worth taking note of.
Regards oli

I've got a set of Leupold PRW in medium spare PM me if you're interested... They're pretty good though I don't really like the way the top clips over, I upgraded them to save a teeny bit of weight.

I'm currently using TPS mounts that are very nicely made and considerably cheaper than equivalent Leupold / Nightforce ones: available from Midway UK or Brownells.

Hi have both here, but on my SPS I have a 6x42, on my Steyr I have an 8x56. I would say the 8x56 would fit on my SPS tac (also has a rail) using Med mounts, if you get stuck I have an almost brand new set of Warne 30mm mounts that I took off my SPS to fit the 1" tubed 6x42.

O_R

Cheers, I did not buy mounts via the post as did not want to be sending stuff back and forwards, with my rifle out of action. Went to Valkyrie rifles, a two hour round trip and got some fitted. Medium were fine, just my luck I could have saved some money.
Regards oli

I've got a Leupold Mk4 on my SPS using weaver mounts onto the picatinni. Weaver do a vast selection of mounts in a wide range of sizes. I took mine into my RFD who measured it and recommended the best fitment.
As Mat said, if it's too low you might get a mod shadow. You also risk getting heat shimmer from the barrel if you are putting a lot through it in one go.

have a look at third eye tactical they make some real sleek mounts, a medium is all you need i think they are about £110 but worth it they are verry light and chunky give your scope a solid platform

For what its worth I have not fitted a scope myself for years. I can and have but with the price of mounts and scopes I let the gunsmith do the lot and then its their problem if they break a screw off or damage something in some way. And if your buying the chance is they will do it for nothing.

Mark

For what its worth I have not fitted a scope myself for years. I can and have but with the price of mounts and scopes I let the gunsmith do the lot and then its their problem if they break a screw off or damage something in some way. And if your buying the chance is they will do it for nothing.

Mark

Jesus anybody would think this is difficult.

Jesus anybody would think this is difficult.

No its very simple really and I could talk you through it if you like,but it is also very easy to break off screws and if I am paying why take the risk? why would I want to pay good money for a scope and mounts not to mention the rifle and then put them together on the kitchen table with some tools out of the garden shed when it can be done by someone with all the tools and can take the blame when it goes wrong. And whats more it did and the gunsmith in question sorted it out. I rest my case.

Mark

Has anyone fitted one, mine has a picatinny rail and looks like a standard 30 mm mount will do the job or will I need a high mount. Obviously want it as close to the barrel as possible. Any ideas of anyone who has done the job, and where did you buy it from.. The 30mm mounts seem to be much less common.
Regards oli

This is my point. (Not you Oli223 but Redneck) "mine has a picatinny rail and looks like a standard 30mm, I want to get it as close to the barrel as possible, where can I buy it and 30mm mounts seem to be less common."
Quite simple tell the gunsmith what you want and get him to do it while you wait for free.

Mark

Back