Thread: Insurance for Irish Residents

Established Poster

Insurance for Irish Residents

I have been looking at getting insured through BASC to do some shooting in the UK; however, after I paid up I noticed that BASC only covers UK and Northern Ireland residents, not resident of the Republic. Now I am out 56 quid and am still not covered, which is fairly annoying. Does anyone know where I can get relatively cheap insurance to shoot in the UK whilst still a resident in Ireland?

Cheers.

hi i,m surprised that the basc insurance doesn,t cover you. try the countryside alliance.

Ring and talk to the BASC people in Lisburn (028 9260 5050) and see what they have to say - I've always found them very helpful but in this case I guess the law might be differnt in the ROI making cover by a UK insurer tricky.

Established Poster
    Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why the insurance depends on where you reside. I'll have to ring them and figure it out I suppose.

Established Poster
    I emailed BASC this morning and got the whole situation sorted. Hats off to BASC for asnwering all my questions and expediting the processing of my application, truly a pleasure to deal with.

For those of you out there living abroad, it turns out that you can reside outside of the UK and have BASC insurance, but it is valid only if you are shooting in the UK. This works perfectly for me as I don't shoot in Ireland, but travel over to the UK for it. Very glad this whole debachle is sorted.