Cuckoo

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Just heard the first cuckoo of the season, was watching some geese making their way North for the Summer and when those noisy buggers had gone there it was the first of the season. Need to watch for the first swallow now as i got the cuckoo and the swallow on the same day last year.

John

No Cuckoo heard here in Ardersier yet but Sandmartins arrived 10 days ago and Swallows last Sat. Probably the largest number of Pinkfeet yet passed over the house last night, they'll feed and rest here for a few days maybe and then head north.

JR

Heard my first cuckoo exactly two weeks ago today which I thought was very early!

"The cuckoo comes in April,
He sings his song in May,
He whistles a tune at the end of June,
And then he flies away!"
MS:D
:coat:

I heard one at 6:30am ish on Sat 16th April. Similar problem with extremly noisy Canadas with a Greylag in tow.

D

Was thinking this to myself the other night when I heard one that it hadn't come up as a topic yet.

Must have been about 7 : 30 pm Sunday 17th.

Alex

Well we have Swallows about now butt he Cuckoo is always late here. Not sure if the Swallows will nest next door this year as a pair of Little owls have taken up residence in the stables they normally nest in.

It's a job with cuckoo's here, you hear them and then they are gone. They seem to move through here from quite early in the year. My mum is from Lincolshire (Spilsby) and used to reckon on hearing the cuckoo around her birthday, the 15th April. They are early here this year and we have had regular ones calling from the 18th April.

Simon

Spilsby is up the hill from here about 8 miles drive. It might be that we have less trees and hedges down here than they have up on the Wolds so don't get them as much.

Spilsby is up the hill from here about 8 miles drive. It might be that we have less trees and hedges down here than they have up on the Wolds so don't get them as much.

Up the Hill? :eek:

Btw, no Cuckoos here either, we're in relatively open rolling countryside, few broad leafed woods and 1,000ft asl.

ps. Our first swallows and martins arrived together.... yesterday!

Last edited:
Cuckoos have declined alot in my locality, some years I do not even hear one, whereas over on my stalking ground in Dumfrieshire they are still common and I will expect to hear several when I'm stalking.

First Cuckoos were singing on Tuesday 12th down here in Essex, well that is when I first heard them.
Later that day saw the first of this years fox cubs, lets hope I get a few more than last year.

Neil. :)

We had swallows here just over a week ago and I saw a house martin today. No sign of any cuckoos yet though.

I heard first swallow last sunday whilst out checking my traps they are getting rare around my area but they normally arrive second wk in april

Saw swallows and house martins in Nairn and Forres yesterday. Saw first swallow in edinburgh last weekend.

No Cuckoo heard here in Ardersier yet but Sandmartins arrived 10 days ago and Swallows last Sat. Probably the largest number of Pinkfeet yet passed over the house last night, they'll feed and rest here for a few days maybe and then head north.

JR

I passed down your way yeatserday and I don't think I have ever seen so many geese in one place (this was between skiach and Dingwall), I heard my first 2 cuckoo's today

Back