Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age that buck

Age that buck

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread where members can try 'age' roe bucks and argue their case 'why'. I feel maybe a lot of people, particularly more inexperienced can learn from this, which can help them in picking the right beasts for their cull plans. I am aware of the difficulty in aging bucks, but I thought for that same reason, this could be a good debate and useful learning tool. I have attached a few photo's for starters. Any takers/1st guessers?

*****Photo's removed*****(due to someone being particularly anal.)

Please attach your own photo's so we can hopefully have a lively and ongoing debate on this tricky subject.
    Last edited by PKL; 26-04-2011 at 11:00.

1 + 3 look young. 2 + 4 mature.
    Thay are all edible you know :-)

1 AND 3 Y/M 2 AND 4 M. No reason just an educated guess

I would say under 3 on a very good piece of ground.

All between one and seven and thats as much as i would be willing to commit to on the hoof

Moose

i would guess 1 and 2 mature 3 and 4 young, looking at the body rather than the antlers..

1) mature.......clean and still in winter coat
    2) mature....... " " " "
    3) young
    4) young

I think your idea of using images to practice ageing deer, while not original, is at least a good effort.

Number 1 is indeed a mature buck and a tricky shot at 0705hrs on the 5 April 2007 (the data is imbedded in the original image). Number 3 was a thin 1 year 4 month old coming in to the call during the rut. I know 'cos I shot him very shortly after taking this photo!

There is a 'contact me' link on my website which you could have used to ask permission for the use of these images. I wouldn't have charged as they are for educational use on this site.

Actually now that I have taken a closer look at those images you can see I have branded them 'photo by GZT'!! They used to hang rustlers in the wild west.

So, nil points for 'Poaching' deer off my site! I look forward to your reply with some interest.
    Last edited by Jelen; 25-04-2011 at 07:40.

Jelen Wind your neck in a wee bit it was only a bit of fun no need brandish copy right crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelen View Post
    I think your idea of using images to practice ageing deer, while not original, is at least a good effort.

Number 1 is indeed a mature buck and a tricky shot at 0705hrs on the 5 April 2007 (the data is imbedded in the original image). Number 3 was a thin 1 year 4 month old coming in to the call during the rut. I know 'cos I shot him very shortly after taking this photo!

There is a 'contact me' link on my website which you could have used to ask permission for the use of these images. I wouldn't have charged as they are for educational use on this site.

Actually now that I have taken a closer look at those images you can see I have branded them 'photo by GZT'!! They used to hang rustlers in the wild west.

So, nil points for 'Poaching' deer off my site! I look forward to your reply with some interest.
    OMG

Please tell me that you have nothing to do with the Jelen Deer Services.
    Last edited by blunderbust; 25-04-2011 at 15:59.