Thread: n160/interlock or interbond for the .270

n160/interlock or interbond for the .270

I am due to be reloading shortly, got all my brass and primers, now i was origonaly going to go for the nosler partiion in 130grain but cant get them now, can anyone tell me what the difference is between the hornady interlock and interbond? which one would you go for? will be used for muntjac up to reds. Also what do you think of n160 powder for the .270? is this a good starting point? thanks, Mo

Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    I am due to be reloading shortly, got all my brass and primers, now i was origonaly going to go for the nosler partiion in 130grain but cant get them now, can anyone tell me what the difference is between the hornady interlock and interbond? which one would you go for? will be used for muntjac up to reds. Also what do you think of n160 powder for the .270? is this a good starting point? thanks, Mo
    The difference between Interlocks and Interbond is abut 40 per 100!

I used 140gr Interlocks for many years, load was 51.5gr N160, quite a mild load, at least two grains under book max and very pleasant to shoot.

N160 is excellent in the 270win.

Interbonds have the lead core chemically bonded to the copper jacket with a plastic tip. Interlocks are traditional Copper lead cup and core bullets and cost a LOT less than the Interbonds.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Mo,

I am using 52gn of N160 with 130gn Interbonds. Having done some development last year my rifle preferred the lower end of the range and 52gn is giving me around 2780 fps. I've only used Interbonds on Sika but they work well - (never managed to recover anything after the event despite the 'relatively' slow speed so can't comment on the deformation) but they always gives a 2-4cm exit wound and so a good blood trail. I've got a box of Accubonds and so may go with those on the next batch but I would have thought they would behave much the same.
    Hope that helps,
    T.

The interlock bullets are one of the best bullets available for deer and I dont see the point in spending extra on the interbond.

SD Regular
    Interlock are a simple old school bullet often called a "cup and core" type.

That is a cup or more correctly jacket of gilding metal swaged over a lead core into the required bullet shape with no chemical process to "bond" the jacket cup to the lead. The "interlock" being a small raised ridge inside the cup that is said, together with an external crimp cannelure, to anchor the lead core in place.

It is a bullet best suited to traditional velocity calibres. That is to say at velocities not over 2,900 feet per second.

N160 is an excellent powder for the 270 Winchester. I used to load, also, the 140 grain Interlock over 52.4 grains to give a velocity of 2858 feet per second in my 23.5" barrel BRNO ZKK 600 in that calibre.

At short range - say twenty yards or so - at high velocity they can be messy. Say a 100 grain Interlock at 3,100 feet per second as in a 243 Winchester they can give bloodshot meat if bone is struck.

Quote Originally Posted by palo View Post
    The interlock bullets are one of the best bullets available for deer and I dont see the point in spending extra on the interbond.
    +1

The only bullet that I liked as much as the Hornady Interlock spire points was the old Nosler Solid base bullets sadly discontinued some years back.