7mm

Hmmm well I went for 7x57 then .280 Rem but an Ackley Improved version. nearly brought a 7mm Rem Mag some years back and thinking back wish I had now as it was an almost new P-H M81 Classic.

7x64 is also an excellent cartridge :cool:.

7x64! It can be uploaded to very nearly rem-mag levels, or downloaded to modest 7x57 speeds. A wonderful allrounder that is very popular on the continent.

Simon

Hmmmm correct me if I am wrong but really the only difference between the 7x57 Mauser and the .275 Rigby is the type of bullet Rigby chose and that was a direct result in his WW1 experiences as I seem to recall. The Rigby uses a rounded nose profile and not a spitzer.

.280 Ackley Improved with 160gr Accubond or 168 Berger, depending on what its for.....

Last edited:
One has to admit that the .280AI does look neat:-

PC080087.jpg

The AI is on the right of course next to a factory Remington Express 165 grain load. The AI has Remington 175 Grn Semi Spitzer bullet in it.

Hmmmm correct me if I am wrong but really the only difference between the 7x57 Mauser and the .275 Rigby is the type of bullet Rigby chose and that was a direct result in his WW1 experiences as I seem to recall. The Rigby uses a rounded nose profile and not a spitzer.

Ah that was then - 90 some odd years ago, and perhaps someone of an open and enquiring mind such as Mr Mauser or Mr Rigby, may well have tried the Accubond or similar , had it been available to them at the time? Just a thought...... as they achieved all that they did by looking outwards and forwards rather than sticking with what had gone before.

However, thats not what this thread is about.

As bobt mentioned, depends on what you want to do. Here are the rifles I use, The Titanium I sold a while ago, the rest I have kept as they are well suited for the job I use them for.

7MM08 for bush work and out to 610yrds with the NBT @ 2935fps
DSCF2289.jpg

Today007-1.jpg

7mmREMMAG with 160Ab TO 500yrds, 162 A-Max @ 3260fps for 400 - 1200yrds
DSCF2048.jpg

DSCF2235.jpg

DSCF2059.jpg

7mm RUM Improved with 180 Berger VLD @ 3471fps for 100- 1850yrds
DSCF2345.jpg

DSCF1621.jpg

Whetu_2.jpg

want it for longrange hill shots plus would like to use it on roe to if possible.
plus can any one help when i put in for my variation do i put in for a 7mm or have i to stipulate i.e 7mm-08 or 7mm rem mag e.t.c

Hi Remmy243

I put just 7mm on my FAC application & it was granted. This then gave me the choice of 7mm cartridges & would allow me to sell the rifle & buy one of the other 7mm chambered rifles without putting in for a variation. It's the calibre of the rifle i.e. bullet size not cartridge size that you put on the application.

Hi Remmy243

I put just 7mm on my FAC application & it was granted. This then gave me the choice of 7mm cartridges & would allow me to sell the rifle & buy one of the other 7mm chambered rifles without putting in for a variation. It's the calibre of the rifle i.e. bullet size not cartridge size that you put on the application.

Whilst I would agree with you sadly the Police in places like Lincolnshire do not see it as this and peu cartridges down rather than calibres as per the forms. What the HO says and ACPO are only observed IF it suits Lincolnshire's agenda.

Brithunter, your 280 AI works great with the 160 AB or 162 A-Max at 3050fps.

Thank you.

Once I get this legal mess sorted and my guns back I will continue with the load development and finishing off the rifle and get it's new stock.

Back