Wanted: People required for dsc1 course - midlothian

dave1372

I have contacted the BDS South East Scotland who are prepared to run a DSC1 course in Dalkeith if there are 16 people to make it viable.

I am assuming the costs will be the same as on their website : http://www.bds.org.uk/deer_stalking_certificate_level_1.html

If a course is available by other organisations which is cheaper or an assessment only day then I am happy to explore that option. At the moment I am just trying to generate some interest to make it worthwhile any organisation putting on a course.

If anyone is interested then just reply to the post and I will get back to you once it looks like we can get 16 people. I will post this topic on other forums to. Hopefully we can get something organised for September.

ATB Dave

Last edited:
Contact Gazza or Jimbo from the site they are running one for your area and it only costs £90 .Also included was a talk in day with RR and a practice shooting and safty walk.;)

what are the dates and what is the final cost

I don't have dates yet I need to generate some interest first....but it is a bit like the 'chicken & egg' as to which should come first !

BDS said 'possibly' Sept and WLDMG 'possibly June. If it was an assessment day only then cost should be roughly £90-£100. IF it is a 2 or 3 day course then could be £250-£300.

Just to make things clear here. WLDMG in conjunction with other DMGs in Central Scotland are organising a one day assessment only for level 1 (presently fully booked) but this venture is principally for the members of the DMGs. The business of the DMG is local deer management and not running level 1 courses. More assessment days may well be organised but this will be dictated by the requirements of the Group members.
Anyone who is a stalker and resides in West Lothian or has stalking interests in West Lothian are welcome to join (contact Oilmanjd for application form). The Group will assist with training as required but you must be willing to commit to the aims and objectives of the Group.

I am new to the forum Dave and live in Midlothian. It would have been far more convenient for me to do the course in Dalkeith but I am half way through mine at Borders College at Newtown St.Boswells. Not to Worry. Hope you manage to fill the places up.

Atb,
Nelson

Last edited:
It only costs you £75 through Barony College if you get the ILA Scotland grant. That's the 2 day weekend course with assessment and pre course study materials sent out. The ILA Scotland grant is worth £200 which Rachel at the college helps sort out for you. You can get it if you earn less than 22k on paper and live in scotland.

BASC are running a DSC Level 1 test day at Trochry, Dunkeld on the 4th July. Total cost is £140.

Thanks for this, Dave. I've finally managed to convince the old git (my father) to book one, so this should be ideal.

Back