Thread: Hi from New Zealand

Hi from New Zealand

Hello from the North isle of NZ. Having enjoyed hunting Sika deer for the last 35 years I am pleased to find you have them over there also.
    They are a superb meat animal and also a first class trophy either for their headgear or beautiful spotted summer coat. What is the average size of their antlers there and what would be an exceptional trophy in score or length?

I have a lot of private areas to hunt here and would be interested in swapping a hunt with anyone interested.

Goats at 500yrds with the 223. 60g NBT @ 3200fps

Public land young stag shot at 754yrds

7mm08 waiting for an early morning public land Sika. 140 NBT @ 2935fps

7mm08 Alaskan Ti waiting for public land Sika

7mm rem mag getting set up for a 880yrd private land Sika Stag. 162 A-Max @ 3260fps

7mm rum imp waiting for Sika at 1320yrds. 180 Berger VLD @ 3471fps

1106yrd Sika

1290yrd Sika Hinds

1550yrd Sika Stag

NZ Sika Stag 189 3/8ths Douglas score

Shooting Hares with the 7mm08 and 17hmr

Shooting crows with the 17hmr

BSA Century with a 17 hm2 chamber cut into the 17 cal liner for rabbits

The result

Popular long range possie

and another

another

just one more

Bush hunting is popular here also

308 Mohawk with Hs Precision stock

I suspect you are bored to tears by now, so I am off for another rest

Another day to hunt tomorrow, and we are in the middle of the Sika roar here, yeehaa

Welcome to the site 7mm, only fond memories of your great country, word of warning though, long range shooting of deer is pretty much frowned upon on here...

If you can get close, get close, if you cannot, & are capable......................................
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Welcome 7mmsaum! That's the best intro in a long time.

I have my doubts about this one though. Are you sure NASA didn't slip this one in? Looks a lot to me like a shot from the lunar module as it made its descent to the Sea of Tranquility.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    1106yrd Sika
    The green bits would be the mould on the cheese...
    Last edited by Iwrch; 22-04-2011 at 14:29.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

hi there welcome to site. some very good photos. as it happens im off over to your side of the world on a working holiday at the end on september and was hopeing to do some hunting whilst out there, it would be daft of me to go that far and not shoot something.
    there is defently a chance of swapping some stalking if you were intrested. i roe to shot over here on what i think is some beautiful ground.
    welcome to the site.

Hi and welcome
    Read about your adventures on your home site , lot of hardy boys down there cheers

ATB

Iwrch, here are a few more just for you. The clarity of the air is not always as good as I want it to be but the animals are out regardless.

510yrds

570yrds

630-730 yrds (cant remember)

These are all taken at over 1000yrds, some over 1200yrds

Iwrch, if you have any questions you are welcome to ask. As I am always keen to learn something from others I would be happy to see pictures of animals you have photographed out past 1000yrds through your scope.

Quote Originally Posted by comber View Post
    hi there welcome to site. some very good photos. as it happens im off over to your side of the world on a working holiday at the end on september and was hopeing to do some hunting whilst out there, it would be daft of me to go that far and not shoot something.
    there is defently a chance of swapping some stalking if you were intrested. i roe to shot over here on what i think is some beautiful ground.
    welcome to the site.
    That would be great comber, keep in touch.

Hello again from NZ, hope you are all getting your share of meat animals, ours are feeding up in preperation for the roar.

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses