Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driven hunt with rifles

Driven hunt with rifles

I am not talking boar in Croatia. I am talking nearer home. Speaking to workman today with legal access to the said area (a shooter so he knows a rifle from a shotgun) said a month ago he saw a group of about 10-12 surrounding a wood in Lanarkshire into which they sent spaniels. They were armed with high powered rifles. Now foxes would be shotguns, I would expect,
    Jim

Sorry what are you wanting us to say?
    You have heard from someone else there was a driven rifle hunt in this country?
    And what if there was. Its done abroad all the time for deer. Not "our way" but whos to judge?
    They may even have been after a wounded stag or something. I'd rather have a rifle than a shotgun in that situation, BUT I would want to know everyone else is safe on the follow up.
    Not a dig at you in any way just curious from your post what you want us to say.
    Its all speculation.
    Regards john.

as Y R S has said may well have been after a wounded beast had to do a similar follow up for a 'lost' pricket in march we used a lab to locate the animal and glad to say it was sucessfull.
    there was six of us but only two guns one on either flank
    regards norma

Theres a guy works down the chip shop swears hes Elvis

Jimbo, if you look in your gunsafe there is a Sauer that knows it's own way around a driven hunt.....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    I am not talking boar in Croatia. I am talking nearer home. Speaking to workman today with legal access to the said area (a shooter so he knows a rifle from a shotgun) said a month ago he saw a group of about 10-12 surrounding a wood in Lanarkshire into which they sent spaniels. They were armed with high powered rifles. Now foxes would be shotguns, I would expect,
    Jim
    Jim we use both shotguns and rifles when driving woods for foxes most of the guns with shotguns and a chosen few with rifles for if the fox manages to break through the line of guns, we use fox hounds not spaniels, but by your description I think this would be a fox hunt.

I.ve been a rifle on a fox shoot a couple of times, I get put where there is a wide open space with no cover for a shotgun to be placed, the problem is there is a huge amount of pressure on you as everyone knows where you are and most people can see the fox and chances are it won't stop for you.

Havn't missed one yet but I hate to think of the ribbing I will get WHEN I do

It always amazes me how folk know a "high powered rifle" from a distance. Journalists can even tell without seeing the rifle. I've been shooting a long time and I still don't know where the low,medium and high powered boundaries are.

fraser

Driven deer

No driven deer shoots in the UK?? I beg to differ.

It's a perfectly legal and successful approach used in areas with excessive deer populations.

A row of men walking slowly and calmly through the woods with the purpose of moving the deer to a row of strategically and safely placed rifles is an effective way to manage the cull, so long as the guns are safe and competent deer stalkers.

A bunch of guys wielding rifles and surrounding a wood sounds more like Russian roulette than a shooting trip though! The term 'natural selection' springs to mind...

[QUOTE=armo.;210785]No driven deer shoots in the UK?? I beg to differ.

QUOTE]

Where did anyone suggest it wasn't legal ??