Single track country road

deerhunter270

I have managed to get permission on a small farm that is surrounded by a single lane country road ,my question is can I shoot from the road or out of the vehicle (the best field is best accessed from the road ) .This is in Scotland not sure if different to English rules

deerhunter270

This has to be one of the biggest areas of miss information anywhere in the shooting community. You can decoy pigeon to the central reservation of the M6 assuming you have lawful authority and don't injured, interrupted or endanger anyone!

• In particular, care should be taken when siting Guns near roads. Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.
  • The Highways Act does not apply in Scotland but Procurators Fiscal may use common law offences of 'culpable and reckless conduct' and 'reckless endangerment' in situations in which the 1980 Act would be contravened in England and Wales.

Seems similar idea in Scotland

BASC - Code of good shooting practice

I am no legal egale but I would say it would be most unwise to discharge any firearm from the highway.in England it is illegal within 30 ft of the center of the carrageway if you are likley to obstruct or cause unesecary distress to a passer by.Even on a country road very dodgey is it worth risking your FC :?:

Does anyone know if anyone has ever been charged with this ? - - - The Highways Act does not apply in Scotland but Procurators Fiscal may use common law offences of 'culpable and reckless conduct' and 'reckless endangerment' in situations in which the 1980 Act would be contravened in England and Wales.

JR

Does anyone know if anyone has ever been charged with this ?

Probably not, and it's the same with anything firearms related.... especially breach of conditions such as shooting quarry not on ticket, but I could really do without the hassle that could arise from doing so.

In Scotland you can shoot across a public highway provided you have authority on both ground and take care of course. Different in England though.

I got charged with 'the reckless dicharge of a firearm across a public right of way' but it got sorted. Shooting from roadside is fine provided you don't cause alarm, or risk pubic safety or commit breach of the peace say. Obviously be careful and make sure you know the people in the area and do shoot from a position that meets the requirements of land authority.

Apache and Paul are correct. Tech you could shoot on a motorway embankement if you had permission, the catch is not interfering etc, so if it was at night not traffic then fine.

I shot plenty of rabbits from a very quiet country road. However when decoying I would never shoot close to a road.

D

Back