Swarovski SLC 7x42 or 8x50

Oh6

I am looking to upgrade my binoculars and get pair of Swarovski's. I have narrowed the choice down to either the SLC 7x42 or 8x50's.

Now my problem is that I have tried a couple of pairs of 7x42's and they were very good. However none of my friends own or the local dealers have in stock 8x50's for me to take a look at and the 8x50's are spec'd as being slightly bigger/heavier. So I was wondering if anyone who has experience of both sizes could give me some advice or guidance, as it is obviously not a purchase that I want to get wrong.

(Most of my stalking is lowland Roe and Fallow)

binos

I also had a pair of slc 7x42 and sold them for a pair of 10x32 el's,much smaller and lighter and just as good

Out of the ones you have on your list i would go for the 7x42. Some guys need to get the 10 X Glass because of there failing eye sight and waining confidence :lol:

Put it this way sometimes you will think the 7 x 42 are big and heavy BUT 8 x 50 will always be big and heavy.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I perhaps didn't ask quite the right question in so far as my biggest concern being the additional size/weight of the x50's, although that is the perspective from which 'splash' has answered.

The idea of greater light gathering is obviously appealing, but it is that trade off against the bigger size that I want to balance. Magnification is probably a lesser concern as my eye sight is pretty good.

I would go as light as possible. My first bino's where Swarovski's SL 8x56. One big advantage. If you ran out of ammo you could use them as a hammer to kill your game.
I would like to try 8x30/32 binos at low light and see how good they are, but I don't know anybody having them. 8x30 or 8x40 zeiss Conquest would get my attention to see how good they are. Don't get me wrong, Swarovski's will be just as good, I am just attracted by the low weight. Maybe also the Minox HG 8.5x43. Don't know how good these are.

My point was you'll see forever with the 8x42's the extra time/light available with bigger bino's isn't worth the extra weight, they let in so much light because of the quality that exit pupil has less relevance. As you get older the size of the exit pupil you can see shrinks so this becomes even less important.

42's are heavy enough and do the job, get bigger and you'll see less as you won't take them with you ALL the time. You also find you end up putting the heavy ones down and forgetting them.

I have Swaro 7x42 SLC's, 10x42 EL's, 8x30 SLC's, Zeiss 10x40 BGAT's and Zeiss 8x20 compacts.

Which are my favourites? Swaro 7x42 SLC.

Which would I keep if I could only have one pair for allround use? 8x30 SLC.

Don't worry too much about the old rule of divideing objective size by mag to get exit pupil. Modern lenses and coatings of this quality will all be very good and perfectly adequate at twilight. If I can't see clearly with any of my binos then its time I went home! JC

I also have some 8x30 and agree with JC275 that they are the best for most use .

BUT next to 7x42's they have poor definition at low light and in the dark ! If you can only afford one pair of swarovski bino's then buy either 7x42 slc's or 8.5x42 EL's any other will not match them for weight or performance.

Thanks for all your advice.

Nice as they undoubtedly are, the EL's are a stretch too far for the budget so
I have ordered a pair of SLC 7x42's.

You will not be disapointed and look after them and they are one of the only shooting related gear that holds value !
Mine are worth more now than what i paid 15 years ago.

Good choice. I have used a pair of 7x42 SLCs for 10 years, and never been disappointed, they are excellent. As per #11, when you can`t see it with decent glass, it`s time for a beer anyway ....

Would recommend the winged eyepiece kit if your budget allows ( approx £21.00 )

All the best. Neil.

Back