Somebody help ive lost my bolt for a sako 75 .243

woodystock

Hello all, l have just been out to check my rifles zero, and have lost my bolt- l think its getten out of a slight tear in the pocket and now l am extremely worried its gonna cost a arm and a leg to replace.
Its long grass where l have lost it, and on quiet private land, so gonna have another look tomorrow- lm even thinking of buying a metal detector and searching.
Can anyone offer me any advice on where l can source one from and for how much if my searching doesnt find it??
Im totally gutted!

Chris.:cry:

Best of luck .But i am sure you cannot just buy a bolt it is a component part. I would be on hands and knees

you must find it and that's it. To replace means a variation to purchase the part and declaring it to your flo then sending away for fitting, proofing etc. Bring in your mates and borrow some metal detectors then get stuck in. Big Steve lost his for a .308 and after two solid days of looking he found it. The problem was it was in his sock in his wardrobe. Best of luck.

Hi Chris
Ask around there will be a local metal detecting club they will probably lend a hand, put up a prize a of good bottle of malt
Geordie

Sorry to hear this.

This happened to a mate and we did go to Maplin's and buy a metal detector .

We found that a cheap metal detector is worse than useless, you're better off on your hands and knees as between false reading and adjusting the sensitively to "compensate" to the extent that you later discover it's incapable of detecting your car from touching distance, you'll be thoroughly ****ed off.

Get someone with a good metal detector to help you.;)

As a "quick fix" fix a circular magnet off an old speaker, the bigger the better, to a piece of roofing lath, or some such bit of timber and retrace your footsteps, all the best, hope you retrieve it.

I would be very surprised if you could "buy" a bolt for your SAKO. (Unless someone finds yours and sells it to you) SAKO will require the rifle to be sent back and have a bolt fitted to your gun. This would constitute a repair, right? Is that a good thing, legality wise? In any event, it will be expensive, no doubt.~Muir

Lost bolt.

I would be very surprised if you could "buy" a bolt for your SAKO. (Unless someone finds yours and sells it to you) SAKO will require the rifle to be sent back and have a bolt fitted to your gun. This would constitute a repair, right? Is that a good thing, legality wise? In any event, it will be expensive, no doubt.~Muir

I have lost a bolt for my Sako 2 years ago - (deep heather) went in to my local gunshop (Inverness) and bought a replacement @ £75.00. Went straight on, no fuss no mess....

I didn't like to say anything Paul but 'fitting'? All the rifles in the same calibre will surely have the exact same size bolt? I know I mixed up my .22-250 and 7mm08 bolts once in the past and they worked just fine with no change in accuracy whatsoever, they both live in the rifles now instead of the top box to avoid future confusion.

No comfort to you, but a friend of mine lost his bolt while on the hill, went through mental anguish, bought the metal detector, retraced his steps, was about to look for a rope, & then spotted something shiny on top of the argo tilt!, in the slack bit.

I know this does not help but how the hell do you lose a bolt from you rifle in the field? or am i missing some thing.
If your rifle is carryed on a sling the bolt is closed on a empty chamber or on in gunslip and when stalking cocked and locked and loaded.
I only take the bolt out if the rifle is left in my car alone at eg. petrol station,shop for safety other than that it stays with the gun untill i get home.

Mrs RF has a metal detector [a good one I bought it her] and if your not far away, I am happy to pop over and spend time with you searching. Wherebouts are you?

i also own a decent metal detector and am also in wiltshire along with range finder so again if you are local i would be happy to help as well if you want

Advice on magnet. Someone with a sako bolt check it is magnetic. Stainless steel is Not magnetic unless low quality. It is the way scrappies check the steel for scrap value:D

good to see all the lads pulling together to help and if you get stuck i will order you 1 from gmk at trade.

regards
chris

Back