Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: establishing a roe population

establishing a roe population

Hi chaps

I have just started to see the odd Roe deer around . I along with a few other local guys are trying to let them establish themselves. We have a decent fallow population and have heard muntjac are 5 miles away. How long do you more experienced guys think it will take to see a healthy number ?

Atb Steve

5 years mate is the norm from a few to a good number and that is if they are left alonr or shot lighly

keeping them well fed over the wiinter months, it can help duplicate the population also.

It my help to hit other species hard as fallow are suspected of pushing roe out of good feed areas and munties will not help in herb dept ? anyone got a good population of all three

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    It my help to hit other species hard as fallow are suspected of pushing roe out of good feed areas and munties will not help in herb dept ? anyone got a good population of all three
    Hello No is the short answer as far as we are concerned. Lots of Roe and Muntjac but not a fallow for miles. The reds seem to stay in one area mainly with young stags being pushed out now and again but the Roe and the Muntjac seem to be quite happy together although I was told years ago that they would not do well together. Chinese within 30 miles but within 10 miles very few indeed and we have never had one on the place even though much of our land would be well suited to them. The roe have built up well over the last 10 years with very light culling before that.

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

I would say ten years to see a good increase in the roe and i'd focus your attentions on the local fallow !

Hi in our area in Hampshire we have large numbers of fallow roe and muntjac also regularly see roe feeding close to fallow quite happily with no anxiety so with this evidence in our area fallow dont bully roe out of the good feed areas.
    Best regards
    Dave (Jelen deer services.

Deer

In the Spring 2011 issue of The BDS 'Deer' magazine, there is a substantial article on what happens when roe and fallow are present in an area. It concluded that, in areas where there is contention for food and habitat between roe and fallow deer, fallow deer will exhibit aggression towards roe deer and the roe deer population may decrease as a result.

The study was carried out in a Mediterranean location and reported that whereas the fallow deer population increased by 13% over the study period, the roe deer population correspondingly decreased by 24%.

An interesting article from an excellent magazine.

+ 1

been on jelen ground roe ,munty and fallow together no probs.thetford ground the same +red for added interest not had all four in the same field at the same time that would be something .dont like hitting any species too hard .muntys got a hard time on an estate we shoot and they still havent yet got back to the old stage some 9 or 10 yrs ago.good management the key just my opinion