Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Waterproof jacket

Which Waterproof jacket

I am looking for a good waterproof coat for stalking mainly but also to be worn on shoot days? Want something VERY waterproof to keep out heavy rain when stood all day on shoot days but must look smart, so can't be a smock or camo(good green colour)! Not too worried about cost but do want good value.

What do you use and recommend?
    Last edited by Dickyboy; 25-04-2011 at 15:08.

To be honest mate you need 3 jackets as your stalking jacket will soon get grubby and the last thing you need to do with waterproof gear is wash it too often.
    I have 2 stalking jackets,one when i,m in a high seat or when it is effin cold (eastern europe) this is a Lakson.Then i have a Deerhunter Ram very weather proof and good for stalking in the highlands when working hard up the mountains.
    My coat for formal driven days is a Napier made from Alpaca wool warm as toast all day in the rain and still dry plus very smart.
    I have had these jackets for the best part of 10 years now and they have stood the test of time.At the time i didnt pay more than 120 for any of them.
    Most of my mates steer clear of La chamous coats and i believe Barber do a very good "shoot coat"
    Tusker

I've been wearing the Musto Highlands for maybe 10 - 15 years now and find that it works well for me as I need something with a hood (people who make coats without a hood have just no idea what real bad weather is) and that is robust and has a reasonable number of pockets. I use it for hill stalking in Scotland and also for fishing and am on my second one. They have survived some pretty rough treatment.

In saying that in recent months I've replaced it with an old ex-army windproof smock to which I applied the wash in waterproofing and I find it better suited to stalking and so far it has, to my amazement, been totally waterproof. I know it is outwith the scope of your question but worth considering something like the Musto for more formal days and the mil surplus stuff for when you are stalking on your own etc. If you don't like the camo thing, and I'm a little uncomfortable with the DPM military camo, then I think the windproof smocks occasionally come up in olive drab.

So far I've had deerhunter(admittedly not a Ram) and a seeland plus a few others. Neither of which were totally dry after beating, they seem to let you down around he shoulders and arms when moving about, fine when sat still though.

I had a Musto Tech tweed but a mate really wanted it and I didn't like the colour much so he gave me a bit towards my new coat for it. I have to say the musto was really dry after some proper rain.

I'm on the lines of Musto but wanted to know if theres new stuff more suited to stalking as I only wear it once or twice a year for shoot days. I have a light one for showers.

Was thinking along the lines of Musto, Kammo, Nomad, Harkilla, Country covers etc or any others but want something that really works!

Harkila Pro hunter.
    Had a Musto and to be honest i bought it as a Driven shooting and smart jacket BUT after the surface suffered from Pilling it looked crap after 3 months !
    Retuned it to Musto who replaced it. Second one went the same way. But Musto then decided that was normal ( MY ARSE) i was left with a 300 jacket that was covered in little balls.

I haven't tried one of the Harkila Jackets as yet but have tried their trousers and have been impressed, even though it is a lightweight pair they have lasted for a long time as waterproof trousers usually have a life measured in days or weeks for me, so if the jackets are as good as the trousers then I would have no concerns about buying one.

My experiences with deerhunter are somewhat similar to your own - I tried their trousers and they leaked, didn't last long and fell apart.

I have one of the Musto tech tweed jackets and like it but it is very light weight and I don't think it would be very robust. Fine for light use but I don't think it would last anywhere near as long as the Highlands does.

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Harkila Pro hunter.
    Had a Musto and to be honest i bought it as a Driven shooting and smart jacket BUT after the surface suffered from Pilling it looked crap after 3 months !
    Retuned it to Musto who replaced it. Second one went the same way. But Musto then decided that was normal ( MY ARSE) i was left with a 300 jacket that was covered in little balls.
    I had a Musto Heathland for 10 years of great service until it was stolen. I replaced it with a Le Chameau. Rubbish. Couldn't withstand a day of heavy rain and looked terrible after 2 seasons. I now have a Harkila Prohunter and can't speak highly enough of this coat. I have been out in ALL weathers in it and never been wet or cold. Harkila kit is at the high end of the price range for very good reason. It's worth every penny.
    Last edited by Aidy223; 25-04-2011 at 19:27. Reason: Spelling

Harkila Prohunter - the only truly waterproof jacket I have managed to find so far.

Kammo does it for me bought my first one 15 years ago. Still using it. Got a lightwieght plain green jacket 2 years back great tough jacket 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by provider View Post
    Harkila Prohunter - the only truly waterproof jacket I have managed to find so far.
    +1 I have also had a variety of jackets Barbour Endurance,Dearhunter Ram,Beretta dws,couple of Seelands still got most of them, but the Harkila Prohunter is the most waterproof i have had,but the most expensive .Having said that you wouldn't want to ware it when its to hot,very difficult to get a jacket for summer/winter use.