Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: deer dog register

deer dog register

just wondered,has anybody who signed up been called out yet? be nice to no if anyone has made use of it yet

Look for the profiles with a picture of a dog and deer tracks on them

hi trouble thats not what the guys asking mate .

longhair id be interested to know also good question .
    regards pete .

oops didnt read it all dumb ass

thanks,begining to think it was me for a minute.im intrested in the dog side,im just starting to do sum work with my glp on tracking.id like to put myself on the register but havnt realy got the experience yet.would hate to turn up and help somebody then fail bloody miserably

If you want to join I don't see why it would be a bad thing, until you KNOW the dog can do it and you have some experience, don't charge for your service and make sure you explain to all that you are a new team but if they know of no-one else nearby then surely an trained but inexperienced dog is better than no dog! And you'd get more experience as a team

Quote Originally Posted by longhair View Post
    thanks,begining to think it was me for a minute.im intrested in the dog side,im just starting to do sum work with my glp on tracking.id like to put myself on the register but havnt realy got the experience yet.would hate to turn up and help somebody then fail bloody miserably
    Do as Dickyboy suggests, there is only one way your dog'll learn, thats just to get out and do it. I'd just ignore all the non sense you read about some people beleiving in testing and proving compitency. I definatly second that a inexperianced dog is better than no dog at all.

Longhair, Train your dog first. How many Dogs do you see picking up, working on pheasant shoots that have not been trained? Its nothing to do with tracking tests, its about training. Your going to own a tracking dog for perhaps 10-12 years so whats 6 months training in a dogs life. There is a great difference between a trained inexperienced dog and going along with your untrained mut and trampling all over the shot site and contaminating the trail.
    The other side ,and just as important is do you know what you are looking for at the shot site and how you are going to undertake the track.

Deer dog register

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Do as Dickyboy suggests, there is only one way your dog'll learn, thats just to get out and do it. I'd just ignore all the non sense you read about some people beleiving in testing and proving compitency. I definatly second that a inexperianced dog is better than no dog at all.
    disagree with this .BUT agree stongly with Jagare
    The only way that the dog will learn is to train it,there is a massive difference in a dog that 'finds' dead deer and one that tracks a wounded animal.
    Go to a BMH tracking day and do a test;go to a NGO tracking day, listen to the experts.Remember the handler needs almost as much training as the dog,as Jagare implied the shot site will tell the handler how to help the dog.
    Read around the subject there as there are enough English translations now to help you.PM me if you get stuck

Kit
    www.muntjactrading.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Alis
    no disrespect here
    but I think Longhair has the right attitude
    how will the dog learn if the owner does not hav a clue
    yes if you hav a good dog then it makes things easier,
    but what if you hav a dog that needs a lot of help and training, then what are you going to achieve by putting it into a live situ when it ain't ready

if you are not competent in finding a wounded beast then how do you expect to train your dog to be competent
    it's that simple

but most of all I do disagree that an in experienced dog is better than no dog at all, a lot of easy deer to find are lost because of this
    been there done that and also suggested the dog be put on a lead so the lost beast could be tracked and found
    a dog is a great asset but not much use if it don't hav a clue and that is in all disciplines from tracking deer to retrieving birds out of the bush or off water
    If you feel that calling out a dog and handler that cannot proove themselves in the field is the way to go then you are sadly deluded and how about those that are called out
    spurred on that they hav a dog so they must be competent only to find they are not
    what good does that do
    Longhair
    take your time and train your dog to a standard you feel happy with, then offer your services when ready
    it is then you will know
    as Alan has said you may well hav this dog for 12+ years , so why spend 10 years regretting it