Forrest foam bore cleaner

willie_gunn

Does anyone have any experience of this cleaner? I have a tin available and was going to use it on my .308, but I thought I'd check other people's experiences first.

Regards

willie_gunn

Hi Willie,
I have been using Forrest foam bore cleaner for a while now and it does the job for me and very happy.
There is always going to be opinion of the best way to clean your rifles but I find this stuff very good.
I can recall this being talked about on posts some time ago and have had a quick look but can’t find it yet.
So from my perspective go for it and you will find the results excellent, however follow the instruction on the tin and give the tin a good shake, it can cough and splutter a bit.

Happy cleaning :lol: :lol:

Smithy

Smithy

Many thanks - your comments put my mind to rest. I'll give the rifle a go with the cleaner and report back on the results.

Regards

willie_gunn

I use it as well. The foam stays foam while it fills the barrel then it turns back to liquid. Quite nifty.

Mae sure you get the feed pipe properly into the barrel or it goes everywhere.

As said the tube needs to go right in to the chambre. I find my barrel needs quite a few shots through it befor it settles back down after use of the bore foam.

Dave

I find forrest bore foam to be a very good cleaner and remover of copper and carbon if used routinely however I find KG12 to be the ultimate remover of stubborn copper deposits.

Follow the KG link it is quite impressive.

Once you have cleaned your rifle and want to shoot it try running a patch soaked in meths down the bore this will remove all traces of oil and solvents and you should find that no fouling shots are required.

300wsm said:
I find forrest bore foam to be a very good cleaner and remover of copper and carbon if used routinely however I find KG12 to be the ultimate remover of stubborn copper deposits.

Once you have cleaned your rifle and want to shoot it try running a patch soaked in meths down the bore this will remove all traces of oil and solvents and you should find that no fouling shots are required.
nice one, top tip!!

300wsm said:

At last someone giving out good advise, thanks 300wsm, how many young or new stalkers spend their spare time covering their lovely new rifles in oil only to send the first shot into the earth because they never got this kind of advise. Well done

Mrs Finnbear once had a badly copper fouled .303 Enfield, I treated it with a product called Wipeout, a foam bore cleaner, this rifle was then noted to be very accurate at the ranges from then on, there are several products from this brand, all have proved to do what is stated on the tin, If you would like to try the stuff have a word with Griff, he is the importer, I have no commercial links with these products & am speaking from personal use of them. Steve.

I have mixed views on the Bore Foam, I've had some for several years, on the smaller calibres it could be used for extinguishing airport fires as the foam stream squirts so far of the barrel, on the bigger calibres where you can get some to stay in it seems to be adequate.

If I ever use up my tin I will not be buying another!!

I have mixed views on the Bore Foam, I've had some for several years, on the smaller calibres it could be used for extinguishing airport fires as the foam stream squirts so far of the barrel, on the bigger calibres where you can get some to stay in it seems to be adequate.

If I ever use up my tin I will not be buying another!!

Deker, what will you be using?

I was given Forrests Bore-Foam & Hoppes BR9 when i bought my rifle and it seems to do the trick, but i would value any pointers in the right direction.

ft

300WSM is right, KG12 seems to be the way forward. As 300WSM said do have a look at this link for test results compared to other cleaners..absolutely staggering. http://www.laniganperformance.com/kg12testresults.html

After reading these test results I am now going to ditch the Forrest Bore Foam and buy some KG12. It is a yellowish liquid and very easy to apply. Borrowed some from a friend this weekend and it seems to work well. Much easier than foam I think.

Last edited:
Hi,
This KG-12 needs a try, On the internet results look very good,
Just find where to buy to stuff now

Smithy

Hi Guys

Forrest Foam give excellent results especially on the big bore rifles where copper build up can be quite a problem. I carefully and progressively squirt it into the barrel from the chamber end until a little extrudes from the crown. THen rest the rifle muzzle down and leave it overnight. Patch it through a couple of times with a dry patch and off you go. Perfect.

Mark

I was given a tin of Forest boar foam to use as part of the barrel break in process when i purchaced a barrel from Border Barrels, i find it very easy to use even in bigger bore's, i stuff a piece of tissue into the muzzle to stop te foam squirting out, then prop the butt up up slightly so it can drip out onto a news paper,after removing tissue.

Like the meth's tip..

Nell

I'm a FBF-user, a convert from Hoppe's Benchrest copper solvent.

I've had no need to shove a brush of any sort up .22-250, 6.5x55 or .308 barrels since staring to use it.

Good stuff, in my experience; and a little delicacy of touch on the can prevents silly-string effects staining the gun-room furniture.:)

One quick tip- I ignore the instructions on the can of Forrest Bore Foam and often leave it in the barrel over night. I think it's brilliant but have been very disappointed by KG products.

One tip when using bore foam: use a 'splatter box' or put a plastic bag over the end of the muzzle to catch anything squirting or dribbling out... You can leave it there when pushing patches through and it will catch the patches.

BTW, I've switched to precut square patches and patch holders where you just stab the middle of the patch and push it through the bore: so much easier than four-by-two!

In 40 years + shooting, I have tried all the gubbins proffered for cleaning this , that, and the other!:lol:, I now use wipeout products ...exclusively..& no!, I have no connection with the product other than being satisfied with it, & knowing Griff the importer as a friend.:cool:

Back