Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boiling head...got stuck...

Boiling head...got stuck...

Could anyone advise me on how I get the last 5% of bits off my skull. Just the wee bits around coronets, brain cavity, base of skull.

I'm currently got it out thinking flies will clean it up pretty quick. Then good wash, soak, bleach

Atb!

Dont leave it for flies, clean it properly. Just be patient and slowly remove all the bits. It takes time but it is worth it. Use small knife, screwdriver might help as well as small brush. You can use bended piece of wire to remove brain if you boiled the whole head. Then hydrogen peroxide on wet scull.

Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    Dont leave it for flies, clean it properly. Just be patient and slowly remove all the bits. It takes time but it is worth it. Use small knife, screwdriver might help as well as small brush. You can use bended piece of wire to remove brain if you boiled the whole head. Then hydrogen peroxide on wet scull.

I've spent ages on it, it is almost finished. Nearly impossible to get the wee bits off it though? does the cartilage smell if you dont get it off,(I assume so). brain is out, its just fascia ect that I cant get 100% out

I sometimes take the pressure washer to the head, in order to get it clean. The issue with this is the fine nose bones come off if you aren't careful. Also I keep breaking the pressure washer.

Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by CZ452 View Post
    I've spent ages on it, it is almost finished. Nearly impossible to get the wee bits off it though? does the cartilage smell if you dont get it off,(I assume so). brain is out, its just fascia ect that I cant get 100% out
    AS has been said knife fine screwdriver or chisel watch your fingers though, old tooth brush, pair of long nose pliers takes time but you can get them clean, sometimes helps to boil for a second time, if this is your first head don't worry it does get easier with practice, I know do around 200 a year.

I use one of those blunt vegatable peeler knives. It works a treat.

Thanks for the replies! I may give it another quick boil later. It's had 25 and 10 min boils already though. I think it's almost at peroxide stage. I'm maybe just being a bit too fussy. The very last wee bits around base of skull are the trickiest. I may try a tooth scaler and pick bits out

CZ The lads have got it about right mate just take your time and sit out in the sun and pick away .I work at an edge and just keep it moveing back it dont take that long.PS the brain best way is when you boil the head only boil it for a 10 minute spell take it out and give the brain a stir with a 4 inch nail it gose to mush then put back in pan and the brain will flow out.

Cheers! I'll give it a wee clean just now. There's a few eggs in brain cavity but they couldn't do any harm? If not a quick boil would remove them. How clean does it have to be? I'm sure there are always a few bits people miss each time?

ATB!

I've got this far. I seem to be taking bits off the back of the skull+coronets and not getting anywhere. power hose? I doubt it is anywhere near a bronze? but I quite like it

ATB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boiled.JPG   boiled back.JPG