New ground

cumbrian

Going to view some land tomorrow , we have been told about 800 acres of forest which is neighbouring a big FC block . Apart from the obvious ( looking foir signs of deer are there), doe's anyone have any other tips prior to us going up.
Thanks Brian

Going to view some land tomorrow , we have been told about 800 acres of forest which is neighbouring a big FC block . Apart from the obvious ( looking foir signs of deer are there), doe's anyone have any other tips prior to us going up.
Thanks Brian

Ask about the opportunity to cut/create a nice big clearing around the FC bordering side - you might want to put brambles, maybe some willow or other small shrubs, etc. and get some of those FC deer to consider 'the other side':norty:

Might seem obvious, but check that no-one else has shooting rights on the ground as well.

If you already know where it is try and view on google before you go to see marches, access points, extraction routes any obstacles or dangerous locations to shoot i.e houses, farm etc.
Ask for previous cull records, any restrictions on shooting i.e Sundays
Any planned felling operations

Try and get a map and mark as stated the danger points including footpaths and any bridleways. Make sure that you know the backstops. Be sure that you take a compass when out as if you leave it late when out and darkness falls trying to find your way out of wooded areas with no ambient light can be very confusing until you know the lye of the land.

Hello cumbrian the dsc1 disc went into the post today i have done a fair bit of stalking with G Ward of Lindow Estates in Whitehaven if you contact him he could let you know what animals are around if it is in that area

Mark

Back