Thread: What would you plant?

What would you plant?

Just wondering what others consider ideal tree plantings on a small patch of ground with Sika and Fallow in mind. I'm thinking hazel, willow, ash and crab apple with a few sitka spruce patches for winter shelter.

croydbay

check for powerlines,use sweetchestnut(guarded)they coppice well they will produce attractive fruit in avery short time.Good luck.

I saw some research, and can't remember where now, that planting only a few trees could actually cause the conditions to become colder and so move game out of the cover. I thought it was interesting stuff and by too few it was meaning if the planted area was only 2 or 3 rows of trees deep, the bottom line was that you needed to be quite a few rows deep before game saw the trees as a benefit and somewhere they could lie up rather than just as some cover for when passing through. As you will know sika like it to be as dark and dense as possible so I guess that you should be looking at planting reasonable sized blocks rather than just a couple of rows of trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Brown View Post
    Just wondering what others consider ideal tree plantings on a small patch of ground with Sika and Fallow in mind. I'm thinking hazel, willow, ash and crab apple with a few sitka spruce patches for winter shelter.
    What's the ground like?