Thread: Haynes manual

Haynes manual

Wanted for an early 1990 ish Toyota Surf/ Hilux the relevant Haynes manual or a workshop manual I have a problem with the 4 wheel drive on a mates 2.5 Toyota Surf.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Its quite a simple system....whats the problem? Please tell me model hilux and type of gearbox (ie on the surfs it has a push button on the transfer lever)Also age would help. Haven't got a manual though I do have a spare transfer box (electric shift type) for the R151 Manual gearbox, this def fitted to the 3.0 surfs and the 2.5 D4D hilux but I don't know about the earlier ones.

devonoak
    The reason i was looking for a manual is I was trying to figure out how the box works.
    The vehicle is a 1990 Surf.
    When you put the 4 wheel lever into 4 high or low nothing changes so you press the button on the stick which says diff lock it blows fuses.
    As I am not aware how the box works I was trying to find out if is possible to operate the diff lock manualy as the surf never goes on the road so I was going to put it in 4 wheel drive and leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    devonoak
    The reason i was looking for a manual is I was trying to figure out how the box works.
    The vehicle is a 1990 Surf.
    When you put the 4 wheel lever into 4 high or low nothing changes so you press the button on the stick which says diff lock it blows fuses.
    As I am not aware how the box works I was trying to find out if is possible to operate the diff lock manualy as the surf never goes on the road so I was going to put it in 4 wheel drive and leave it there.
    Ok. I dont believe these trucks have a diff lock?. The ones I know (2.4 and 3.0 manual) have a one-throw stick, this goes low 4wd - high 2wd and the button on the side of the stick should give you high 4wd- so that on the move you can shift into 4wd if you get a bit slippy. The surfs use ADD or auto drive disconnect as do the later pickups. This means that they have no manual freewheeling hubs but that the front driveshafts are disconnected automatically when 4wd is out of use. Still with me?
    Right I suspect that if theres no change when you move the stick (are you sure you dont get a lower ratio??) then what is happening is that your ADD isn't working properly, or at all. So you are (or could be)getting 4wd at the transfer box but because its disconnected somewhere in the front axle its not moving the driveshafts but IS moving the front prop. Easy to check by looking underneath when drive engaged.

Hopefully thats somewhere to start you off. Tom

The wiring from the switch on the stick goes to an electrical unit on the back of the box if I disconnect the wires off the unit it does not blow the fuses could this unit be an operating unit for a central diff lock which makes the four wheel drive work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    The wiring from the switch on the stick goes to an electrical unit on the back of the box if I disconnect the wires off the unit it does not blow the fuses could this unit be an operating unit for a central diff lock which makes the four wheel drive work or not.
    The only unit I've seen on those is what puts it into 4wd high as I said before. It is on the back of the transfer box though. if the wiring makes it blow fuses and the stick does nothing.....theres something wrong with the transfer box!

There's a manual on fleabay for just under 33. (Haynes never did one for the Surf) I have one just like it in pristine condition left over from when I had my Surf.
    I'll sell you mine for 25 posted.
    Ian

Yorric PM sent

Devonoak
    Thenks for the imformation I will let you know how I get on

Hope it helps you- sorry I cant tell you more.