Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POI change after cleaning

POI change after cleaning

Do you find that the POI changes after the barrel has had a good clean?

I cleaned mine earlier today and found I had to rezero to get the shots back on target. Group size was same, just in different place.

In the case of my sauer yes but after a few fouling shots it returns to zero,you shouldn't need to rezero though,doesn't seem a prob with my sako though it just shoots to the same POI clean or not.

I have to shoot foulers and re-zero after every clean from .25cal up to .300WM.

My clean is back to metal so a full clean, some people only push a patch through and that suits. Its whatever suits the shooter

I cleaned with KG 1 2 and 3, fired a few foulers and had to rezero. Usually just put a bore snake after any use and currenlty am cleaning every 150-200 shots.

After cleaning run a patch through with a little meths on it................I got that tip from another SD member and it works a treat for me...........no change of POI in my Tikka.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    After cleaning run a patch through with a little meths on it................I got that tip from another SD member and it works a treat for me...........no change of POI in my Tikka.
    +1 for the meths tip!

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by ferretmanabu View Post
    I cleaned with KG 1 2 and 3, fired a few foulers and had to rezero. Usually just put a bore snake after any use and currenlty am cleaning every 150-200 shots.
    Some time back I cleaned my barrel out with KG12 I think it was, the one that removes copper. Anyhow, the short story is that it took about 50 - 60 rounds before my zero came back to where it started and the strange thing was that I got reasonable groups, would rezero, and then they would move again. It looked like a scope fault or a problem with me but in the end it just all settled down and came good and the only logical explaination was that the "deep clean" had somehow introduced problems with a wandering zero for a while. I'm too frightened to put KG12 down my barrel again in case it takes another 60 rounds to shoot it into shape.

After a "normal" cleaning with some Butch's Bore Shine and a brushing out it takes about 6 shots for my rifle to settle down, but it always comes back to shooting to where it is zeroed. Here are some photos, the first target was shot after a normal cleaning with Butch's and as you can see the 6 shots are a bit wild. The second target shows that shots 7, 8 and 9 have settled down to the zero, ignore 10, 11 and 12 as they were shot at the lower left bull for a different reason:

steyr prohunter??

Find POI changes after cleaning need to fire a few shots to bring it back, but don't have to re zero, one of the reasons
    why I very seldom clean mine.

I have mine zeroed for a clean barrel and clean with bronze brush/copper solvent/dry patch/oil patch/dry patch/ after each outing, if I have taken a shot - that way the zero does not change which works for me but each to his own.