Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 85grn Game King HPBT. Observations.

Sierra 85grn Game King HPBT. Observations.

I've been using these bullets in my 243 now for a couple of months and have had a chance to assess how effective they are on muntjac and roe. I've had about 5 or 6 muntjac with them, but, to date, only 2 roe, a doe and a buck.
    All the muntjac have been H/L shots, and all have fallen on the spot, whether or not they were aware of my presence prior to the shot. Niether of the roe died on the spot, though niether would properly be classed as a runner.
    The doe had seen me and was in the process of trying to decide whether I was a threat or not. I took the shot before she could make her mind up. She ran 50 or 60 metres, but was in view the whole time, and I'm sure she was dead as a doornail by the time she hit the deck. The bullet had passed close above the heart. 5 weeks later sees me out for a buck, giving the Sierras another outing. The buck hadn't seen me, but the doe he was with had, although she couldn't work out what I was. Her suspicions roused the buck from his bed and he was pacing around uneasilly unsure of what she was fussing about. I shot him in front of his nearside shoulder in order to have the bullet exit behind the opposite shoulder. it didn't quite work out that way and the buck needed a second shot to finish him off although the first one had put him down.
    In all cases the Sierra bullets have caused extensive damage, usually consisting of an entry wound, an exit wound and a secondary exit somewhere else on the body, telling me that the bullet is fragmenting at some point during it's passage through the animal.
    Today I butchered the roe buck I shot yesterday and managed, unexpectedly, to recover the remains of the bullet. Bellow are a few pics to add to my ramblings.
    These three pics are of a muntjac shot last week and show the entry wound, the entry and secondary exit wound (both on the same side), and the primary exit wound. This seems fairly typical for this bullet. This is the kind of quartering shot I tried to execute yesterday on the roe buck.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 02-05-2011 at 10:46.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

This pic shows the remains of the bullet recovered from yesterday's roe buck. The bullet had entered just in front of the right shoulder and should have exited just behind the left one. The entry went acording to plan but the exit was further back than I had planned and had pulled part of the gut through the skin on it's way out. However, on butchering the beast I discovered that the "exit" wound was in fact a secondary wound caused by a fragment. The main part of the bullet was lodged in the bucks left "elbow", the recovered fragments weighd 30grns.
    The large piece of lead just to the right of the copper jacket in the pic was still inside the jacket when the bullet was recovered, but not retained in any way.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 26-05-2011 at 22:14.

Hi Harry, i too am useing this bullet, at the moment only Reds have been taken.What powder are you useing and how much?
    Tusker

Using these on reds, you're certainly a braver man than me Gungadin. How do they perform? Do you use them for H/L shots, or do you go for head/neck?
    The load I'm using is 46grn H4831, standard LR primer in Hornady Frontier case, bullet seated at about half a calibre's length. Velocity has not been tested, but this was the most accurate load through my rifle.

I used to use these on roe in my .243 but did not like them at all - even though I'm sure they are fine for a lot of other folk, I found that accuracy was poor in comparison to many other heads/bullets/projectiles/missiles (which one is approved at the moment?), and that the hollow point was excessively larger and cause over-expansion. That's another reason I moved to Hornady 87g BTHP, they have a much smaller HP and create better penetration and even though expansion is good, it's not excessive (1" diameter with H/L shots) and no real fragmentation to speak of that I've noticed upon butchering.

I 'do' have to admit though, my old Norma Soft Points were much friendlier on the meat around the exit wound, and dropped the deer equally well - they just lacked in the accuracy department as well as for foxing and reloading was no good due to supply issues.

Oh, as for runners, the 87g BTHP's dropped them on the spot and the bullet did not deviate upon penetration. But,,then again, so did the factory Norma's!

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I used to use these on roe in my .243 but did not like them at all - even though I'm sure they are fine for a lot of other folk, I found that accuracy was poor in comparison to many other heads/bullets/projectiles/missiles (which one is approved at the moment?), and that the hollow point was excessively larger and cause over-expansion. That's another reason I moved to Hornady 87g BTHP, they have a much smaller HP and create better penetration and even though expansion is good, it's not excessive (1" diameter with H/L shots) and no real fragmentation to speak of that I've noticed upon butchering.

I 'do' have to admit though, my old Norma Soft Points were much friendlier on the meat around the exit wound, and dropped the deer equally well - they just lacked in the accuracy department as well as for foxing and reloading was no good due to supply issues.

Oh, as for runners, the 87g BTHP's dropped them on the spot and the bullet did not deviate upon penetration. But,,then again, so did the factory Norma's!
    Fortunately, my Winchester 70 shoots the Sierras very well, so I don't mind too much using up my remaining bullets on deer. I have some 95grn Noslers to use next, but after those I think I'll either try the Hornady 87grn HPs or go back to using the 100grn Hornady SP bullets I was using beforehand.

Just to add, I would not use my BTHP's on Sika or Reds with H/L shots - I don't think I would trust the penetration abilities in larger deer, for that I'm thinking Interbond or Accubond or Partitions.

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on usage of hollow points for H/L shots on large deer and their theories on whether exit wounds are desired, or whether a bullet shredding 100% of its weight is preferred...

Large or small deer my criteria on them is simple (even when using .22cf on roe and muntjac) A bullet what holds together and always leaves an exit hole (golf ball size max) is my goal. This always leaves something for the dog to follow.
    Now if i didn't have a dog a BT/HP which dropped them on the spot might be the thing in forestry.(on roe).

Hi Harry, shot 4 red hinds one head shot the rest heart and lung.No exit holes on the H/L shots.One hind was 300 yrds plus and there was no exit but when we got it back to the larder the heart and surrounding area was really mushed up and all we could find of the bullet was fragments.This hind fell a good 20 feet and rolled down the mountain abit and the amount of blood had to be seen to be believed. All the hinds dropped on the spot. I do find this bullet very accurate in my CZ. If i were stalking stags i would use my 30-06.
    Tusker

seems a bit to frangible for my liking.
    I prefer retrieving a solid mushroom if at all than shrapnel.
    i gave up on RWS ammo for a similar reason