Thread: My first deer stalk

My first deer stalk

Hi All

I have been for my first deer stalking in Winchester last Saturday with Jason through Roger Buss; I did the target shoots before the stalk but unfortunately didn't get to shoot my first deer. I did see one roe and hear a couple barking in the woods nearby and that in it self made it a good day.

I am in the process of applying to have deer stalking put on my ticket so I can use my own rifle wish me luck! Using my own rifle would be great as Iíve had my rifle for couple of years and the main reason for buying this rifle was my interest in deer stalking. Iím really looking forward to get out there again.

Best regards
    Glynn

Glynn,

Well done to you! I went stalking many times before I shot my first deer, nothing wrong with that, it's all a steep learning curve. Once you lay the crosshairs on that first deers H/L area and squeeze the trigger, you will be hooked forever, just knowing that your stalk is about to be a success and feeling your heart and adrenaline levels going crazy....reminds me of hooking my first double figure brownie on an evenings dry-fly stalking - spotting the fish, moving in, perfect cast, watching the fly drift, seeing the rise, gulp, set the hook - bang! water explodes...BBQ awaits

I'm not one to give lots of advice, but all I can say is, make sure you are happy with the distance, reticle stability, and bullet placement on that first deer, make sure its a 'best practice' shot that will give you the best chances of a great memory for the rest of your life, rather than one that went wrong and ended in a nightmare story..better wait for the right moment..

But, just wait until your first solo-deer, what a rush, you'll feel more proud of yourself than ever before, and will not have a care in the world that there is no one to share it with, because it's yours, your memory, and you can thank the deer carrying it back to the car, reflecting on your good work.
    Last edited by PKL; 28-04-2011 at 10:58.

Totally echo what PKL has said. When you get your first, I was hooked too.

I was very fortunate the first outing I got a roe doe, I got within 70 yards and shot off sticks from a kneeling position. Perfect shot behind the shoulder and she dropped on the spot. The important thing was I did not feel pressured to take the shot and was 100% comfortable.

Unfortunately my mates first deer did go wrong and he spent a few hours finding it and then needed to dispatch it as it was still alive. He told me he felt more pressure from his guide and he rushed the shot.

Well done, I am sure you will get your first soon.

Cheers

Ross

Thanks for your replies
    I agree my first shot at a deer must feel 100% comfortable, as it will be a very exciting experience and one that will be remembered for a long time.

I have been shooting for 25 years but mainly with air rifles and small bore, its only the last three years I have been shooting centre fire rifles. I do feel very comfortable shooting targets with my .243cal, and shooting rabbits at 100-200 yards with my .22H. using sticks, but deer stalking is different again.

I will have to ask Winchester when I send off for my variation if they will allow me to have open status with my .243 for shooting foxes on my island shoots, this will give me field experiences using a deer calibre without the cost. I'll keep my fingers crossed with that.

Don't worry about not getting a deer mate. As others have said it often takes a fair few tries and confidence is needed. I unfortunately lost my first deer as I didn't spot a very thin branch in front of his chest and the bullet shrapnelled the buck and despite going back and searching on hands and knees ( dogs as well) we couldn't find him. I felt heartbroken and it took me a couple of weeks to get over it before we went out again but I didn't have the confidence to try again myself and just let my dad shoot. In the last month or so I have been out 14 times with my dad and we haven't had a shot. Every time we have seen several deer but they've never presented themselves in a position and range that I am confident to take. I am sure once I have got my first deer on the ground then some of the nerves will go and my confidence will increase but as it stands I am still after my first. Good luck in future outings and I look forward to reading a thread about your first deer. Hopefully mine isn't far away either.
    Cheers, Cameron.

Hi Glynn,

Unfortunately that is the name of the game the average success ratio is one deer to three stalks. From what i have heard about stalking via Mr Buss you should speak to Mike (on here as Penudart) or Dave (Davejelen) of Jelen Deer Services (also winchester based) and save yourself some dosh for good quality stalks.

Or try their website Jelen Deer- Committed to excellence.

Cheers and ATB

Rob
    243Sako

Quote Originally Posted by 243Sako View Post
    Hi Glynn,

Unfortunately that is the name of the game the average success ratio is one deer to three stalks. From what i have heard about stalking via Mr Buss you should speak to Mike (on here as Penudart) or Dave (Davejelen) of Jelen Deer Services (also winchester based) and save yourself some dosh for good quality stalks.

Or try their website Jelen Deer- Committed to excellence.

Cheers and ATB

Rob
    243Sako
    Glynn,

I went out with Jelen last week, and can highly recommend the experience. Although I've been shooting a fair while, I would describe myself as a novice when it comes to stalking. You'll find you learn a lot just by getting out and doing it. Many many thanks to both Dave and Simon for a top day.

Hi Klunk thanks for the kind words.... it was a pleasure being out in the woods early in the morning chasing Roe bucks.
    I bet i can guess what you had for sunday lunch ? excellent shot off the sticks a great end to the morning.
    Best regards..
    Dave (Jelen deer services )