Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning

Morning

Morning sure is a really good time to be out.This morning was no exception and what a fantastic sunrise. I was luckie enough to have a deer on the grass before 530 and spent the rest of the time just looking at what was about. I took some pictures but because of the mist they never turned out .Any one know what setting you should be on to take a picture in such conditions. I could see the deer clear in the haze and they could see me but the camera just would not play ball. Saw a very big medal and saddley the pictures just did not turn out still i will rememeber them.

Last edited by 6pointer; 28-04-2011 at 12:59.

Nice buck.
    Camera wise you're seeing the classic difference between an eye and a lens. Looks clear as day to us (and the deer) but the lens just doesnt have the optical clarity sufficient to pick up the object. This is due to the lens calculating the amount of light available for the shot. In foggy conditions the available light is diffracted to a greater extent by the water droplets in the air giving the camera a false sense of the amount of available light. If you dial in some positive exposure compensation you should start to get much better piccies. (try +2 stops)
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Thanks mate i will do and i have seen that option.

Very nice deer/pic! What moderator is that? Did you leave the bigger buck for breeding or just not get a safe shot at it?

I have to say the early mornings screw me up for the rest of the week!

I only take one buck at a time off that ground but that buck in the last picture is a real deal monster and will be shot he was in that place last year and ran it with an iron fist. His genes are well into the stock. So if he is removed now that will give a real good buck a chance to replace him. Deer management is always a battle and changes with what is on view. The moderator is a North Star and it is small and lightish but it is not as quite as a T8 always a compromise.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 28-04-2011 at 19:40.

Thanks for the reply! I have a north star too but mine is more a silver/grey and looks a fair bit bigger than that! At least the big buck will be there for another day

Makes it all worth getting out of bed for..!
    Depending on your model of camera you may be able to set up your exposure compensation to bracket what the camera automatically selects. It will then take 3 pictures. That is , one 1or 2 F stops above and one 1or2 F stops below what the camera selects. In difficult light conditions you'll have more chance of a successful picture.

It will take three picture at a time i will look to see if it can be done to take it at differnt setting.

This morning

Seeing your pics got me thinking about taking my camera out this morning. Lovely morning and no deer hanging about long enough to get their picture taken however did get one of a black panther lookalike ...aka my young Lab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0098.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tikkamuz View Post
    Seeing your pics got me thinking about taking my camera out this morning. Lovely morning and no deer hanging about long enough to get their picture taken however did get one of a black panther lookalike ...aka my young Lab.
    If he takes off after the pheasants at the shoot this year, with a look like that in his eye, I bet you won't be able to stop him on the whistle!!!