Shot my first Roe buck this morning, have a quick question! :)

John_R

Pleased to say this morning was a successful stalk, if I get a moment I'll post a fuller story about it.

This little fella, being my first I decided to keep the head and boil it out. I did search the various topics, and see that it is recommended to get the peroxide on as soon as possible, not letting the skull dry.

I'll not be able to get any till Saturday, so should I actually keep it damp, or just soak it a bit once I have the right stuff to continue.

Cheers

John

Stick it in a bucket (or similar) of cold water until you can get some peroxide. Try to keep just the skull under the water.

As said keep it in cold water, if its just till Saturday, if it's longer you can let it dry and then stick it in to boil again for 5-10 mins before applying the peroxide, it does seem to penetrate better when the skull is wet.

Moose

Thanks for the info etc. :) I have left it in water as described, I also dropped in the two little nose bones that fell off as I'll peroxide those before trying to glue them back on, especially while this is all wet!

Just as I was serving dinner I found a stalker had got me, a tick feeding on the back of one of my fingers! Little bugger must have been on the kitchen counter where I had skinned the head before I took it outside to boil. I had seen a good number of them on the carcass, which is hanging in my workshop at the moment. I think I have done 12 stalks now, so not done too badly to avoid ticks this long.

not spectacular I know, but we all have to start somewhere!

I'd be very happy with that!

A lot better than my first out outing for roe buck last week which resulted in the sight of a doe's arse and not much else... sigh... thanks though to Richard (devon deer stalker) for an otherwise very enjoyable morning out and his efforts (in vain) to seek out my first buck... 4 hours in the early morning Devon countryside was wonderful deer or no deer!

I'd be very happy with that!

A lot better than my first out outing for roe buck last week which resulted in the sight of a doe's arse and not much else... sigh... thanks though to Richard (devon deer stalker) for an otherwise very enjoyable morning out and his efforts (in vain) to seek out my first buck... 4 hours in the early morning Devon countryside was wonderful deer or no deer!

Last year I did four outings in a row after a Roe buck, all of which blanked as we saw either does, or unsafe shots etc. On the fifth outing I finally broke that run with a fallow pricket!

Back