Sporting Rifle

EMcC

Has anybody seen the May edition of Sporting Rifle?
I have just has a week away with the wife and dog in a Hotel in town and to fill my time, bought the May edition, it is getting better, quite good in fact.
There is mention on page ten, the letters page by a subscriber, of a web site that has not been very complimentary of the SR magazine.
To my mind the letter is written in such a way as to curry favour from the editor in the hope of winning the bottle of Whiskey for best letter, but it didn't.
The reply by the editor is quite good too, he has a way with words which are not very complimentary to the subscribers to the web site referred to by the letter writer.
From the letter and the reply, I think Mr James Johnstone may be referring to the SD web site.
I could be wrong, as I am of similar age to him and at this stage in life often get things wrong.
Next time any of you are in town, pop into Smiths, the Library;) and have look on page ten and see what you think.

Yes, the mag is better than it used to be, but the blatant product placement can still be a bit painfull (the 150 grain nosera bullet launched from my Brownchester F bolt ploughed through the bucks vitals, kind of thing). I got the same impression as you about Mr Johnstone's letter.

the blatant product placement can still be a bit painfull .

This is the main reason I have stopped buying the mag! - I generally like the articles but although I like to know what tackle people are using, it's something that makes my skin crawl when it it is blatantly rammed down your throat on every line. A summary of equipment at the end of the article should be sufficient to meet the needs of the sponsors without putting it in body of the article? Haven't seen the May edition but am intrigued now, so may just put my prejudices aside and buy a copy (just the once though!)!! ;)

Speaking of product placement, saw this in a certain satirical online publication's horoscope section:

"Product placement takes your usual viewing into odd new areas this week as Fern Britton interviews Tess Daly whilst idly toying with a 14” dildo from the new Ann Summers range."

I would hope that the response to such a letter consideres the reasons for why there is issues with the magazine and the bumming up of certain individuals and enless product placement. The gear for the most is out of the reach of joe stalker and that's just annoying to have a page of stuff where every optic for example is worth more than my car!

Timney, use the 'Smiths Library' it's only a short letter.:)
I must admit tho' regardless of the content, it has some high quality photography and it is printed on good quality paper too.
I like the picture of my Blaser in the advert on page 41:)

Crikey !! have I missed something :rolleyes: I didn't see anything about dildos in the magazine :eek:
I saw the reference to Eunochs but nothing else of a sexual nature.:(

Have to agree with the bit about products , some good reviews, like the photography but there tends to be alot of referals to the same 'professionals' which has an air of 'its not what you know but who you know'

Have to agree with the bit about products , some good reviews, like the photography but there tends to be alot of referals to the same 'professionals' which has an air of 'its not what you know but who you know'

Surely "known pos" sells books.
You wouldn't watch match of the day if it was presented by a bloke (like me) who knows nothing of the game and hates football??
I cannot vouch for other writers but I am contacted 2-3 times a year to give an article or talk about roe prospecs in my area, seems sensible to ask someone whos with deer every day rather than my neighbour??

Last edited:
I too hate football :) . .. Re the magazine I have noticed a wee bit of 'back slapping' that at times make you cringe..........which of course is different than being asked for advice. Although I like to see trusted stalkers give there views and advice I would also like to see more folk who are just 'run of the mill' as such.... for example there are alot of guys on here who know a vast amount of knowledge. Speaking from experience, both of myself and others, it can be rather disapointing to actually meet some 'experts' who you have read about in a magazine, but when you meet them they are not as you would have expected and you quickly realise that that you shooting buddy who you have know for years is far more knowledgable than you ever gave them credit for. I suppose what I am saying it would be better with all publications to get a much broader cross section of the shooting community

I too hate football :) . .. Re the magazine I have noticed a wee bit of 'back slapping' that at times make you cringe..........which of course is different than being asked for advice. Although I like to see trusted stalkers give there views and advice I would also like to see more folk who are just 'run of the mill' as such.... for example there are alot of guys on here who know a vast amount of knowledge. Speaking from experience, both of myself and others, it can be rather disapointing to actually meet some 'experts' who you have read about in a magazine, but when you meet them they are not as you would have expected and you quickly realise that that you shooting buddy who you have know for years is far more knowledgable than you ever gave them credit for. I suppose what I am saying it would be better with all publications to get a much broader cross section of the shooting community
I agree with you but as its been said here before on other threads. Write something and send it in they are crying out for good stories and articles.
What have you got to loose.

Thats actually a fair point as at the end of the day a magazine needs decent and interesting articles and if we the readers dont send them or ideas etc then they can only write what we read. I havent seen the other threads so I hope I dont seem like im having a moaning but I hope what we have discussed here inspire others to write in , might even do that myself one day,for I am very very sure there will be some ladies and gents on here with exellent stories and experiences to share.

I got a bottle of very good whiskey for writing in when Charlie Jacobi was running it:D
Had to wait a long time but got it in the end.

There are some very good, informative writers on here -- No doubt with some great experiences to share -- I'm sure several of you could submit articles to Sporting Rifle which would be welcomed by all concerned. You might even earn a few bob at the same time.

JR

Back