Thread: Private Gun/Gear Sales - !!POTENTIAL SCAMMERS!!

Exclamation Private Gun/Gear Sales - !!POTENTIAL SCAMMERS!!

I have been advised to write up my experiences with an internet forum member known as Hunter1989 (Steve Graham – previously banned from airgunforum Bargain 2 ultra 177 and 22 both tench regd - Page 3 - ), his brother David Graham and an individual called Jamie “Jakes” (possibly Jamie Manton) – to forewarn others if they are thinking about doing any kind of purchasing/selling from these individuals. However, if anyone knows these people – I kindly request that you put pressure on them to return my money asap. My young family and I are not particularly well off, and I work hard for the money we can afford to spare for my shooting.

Between these individuals they have £300 of my money and I have nothing to show for it apart from a long list of texts and phone calls. As such I have no further option but to imminently start formal legal proceedings.

I am greatly saddened by this bad deal, as not only have I potentially lost £300, but it fundamentally shakes the trust upon which many of our shooting swaps, purchases, and sales solely rely.

This situation has arisen as such;

I responded to an advert on Gunwatch for a PCP air rifle. Between texts and calls to Steve Graham we quickly agreed on a price and payment details were sent. I BACS the money over to the bank account given requesting that the postal tracking number is sent asap. When I didn’t receive the postal tracking number the following day I start ringing/texting. I find out that the rifle was supposedly being advertised on behalf of a friend (Jamie Jakes – possibly actually named Jamie Manton, according to the website owner) and that my money was sent to Steve’s brother’s bank account (David Graham). David Graham informs me that he has never heard nor met Jamie Jakes (although the website owner knows that both he, and Steve, are/were friends on facebook with Jamie Manton). David Graham tells me that as soon as the money arrived in his account Steven Graham came round and took the £300 in cash. Steve Graham asserts that this cash went straight to Jamie “Jakes” whom he has never seen since, nor can get hold of on the phone, nor resides at the two addresses that he has for him. It is also worthwhile noting though the exact same make and model of PCP air rifle is also shown in Steve Graham’s gallery of rifles he owns (BSA R10 - http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums...ge/22387-r-10/).

As can be seen from the above – this very rapidly became very confusing, very quickly! Having spoken to the Police and Consumer Direct (who advised that I warn others online of these activities in a frank and honest account – as per this posting) they both inform me that my legal grievance is with the recipient of the money – irrespective if he was taking money on behalf of his brother who was selling an air rifle on behalf of someone else. I am therefore looking at initiating legal proceedings against David Graham within the next week or two.

From information provided to me from a number of shooting forums owners Steven Graham appears to have had expensive bad deals on at least two other accounts – one almost cost a guy anther £300, but thankfully he coerced Paypal to claw back £270 of this money – again, another rifle that also did not get delivered.

If anyone else knows these people, knows of their dealings, has had bad experiences with them etc, please let me know.

PLEASE beware of this information when dealing with these people, and if anyone does knows these people please tell them to return my money asap.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Although I am in Aussie and wont be touched by the dogs I commend you for posting names to the deeds here for all and sundry to see...nothings quicker than the net to get the word around so post this on every site you can find mate,good luck.

Regular Poster
    Where do thay come from?, thay may be local to some on this site.
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

ATB Barry

I read a similar story on airgunbbs about deception. An advert and a purchaser then no goods.
    The purchaser was an ex copper and he involved plod under the 1968 theft act (try wikipedia for an explanation) and got his money back quickly. I tried to find it but I think it has been culled.
    Small claims court is the option open to you
    Why not name and shame on the hunting life and slag him on his face book page?
    He does not come on here so he is not affected.

Sorry to hear of this Oly!
    IMHO, if you use the Small Claims Court to its's fullest extent you should be able to achieve this at a smallish fixed cost with costs awarded against the other side.
    I have used it twice very sucessfully, suggest you speak first to Trading Standards.
    om

Is this not obtaining property by deception? section 15 of the theft act 1968 I think, have a word with your local CID office, phone them direct do not go through the front office.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Sorry to hear of your hear of your misfortune oly. I would say there are a lot of smooth talking con-men

on the go out there, so one must always be vigilant when it comes to parting with ones hard earned cash.

As you have named the CULPRITS, envolved lets hope any perspective buyers now give them a WIDE BERTH...

Hope you get it resolved ASAP.

Kind Rgds, Buck.

PS. Sounds like good advice given by JAYB.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 29-04-2011 at 14:21.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

I hope these guys get what they deserve in the long run !

I always make a point of only doing cash business face to face or via paypal as at least you get a chance to get your money back with paypal.

Otherwise use one of those cheques from your credit card company as provided it is over £100 you can then always claim the money back from the credit card company.... I had to do that once when a company tried to bump me for £4500!

.....just noticed on the link you give at comment 29 he admits he has an ebay shop....therefore he must be able to accept paypal !
    Last edited by dave1372; 29-04-2011 at 15:49.

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    I read a similar story on airgunbbs about deception. An advert and a purchaser then no goods.
    The purchaser was an ex copper and he involved plod under the 1968 theft act (try wikipedia for an explanation) and got his money back quickly. I tried to find it but I think it has been culled.
    Small claims court is the option open to you
    Why not name and shame on the hunting life and slag him on his face book page?
    He does not come on here so he is not affected.
    Thanks for the advice, I will look into the theft act. I have posted it on the hunting life site and it's making some interesting reading/information Private Gun/Gear Sales - - The Hunting Life

Quote Originally Posted by barry thom View Post
    Where do thay come from?, thay may be local to some on this site.
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

ATB Barry
    Cheltenham/Gloucester area

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Sorry to hear of this Oly!
    IMHO, if you use the Small Claims Court to its's fullest extent you should be able to achieve this at a smallish fixed cost with costs awarded against the other side.
    I have used it twice very sucessfully, suggest you speak first to Trading Standards.
    om
    It's good to hear that the small claims court does work for people then! Thank you, it has given me some hope!

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Is this not obtaining property by deception? section 15 of the theft act 1968 I think, have a word with your local CID office, phone them direct do not go through the front office.

John
    Brilliant, thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by dave1372 View Post
    I always make a point of only doing cash business face to face or via paypal as at least you get a chance to get your money back with paypal.

Otherwise use one of those cheques from your credit card company as provided it is over £100 you can then always claim the money back from the credit card company.... I had to do that once when a company tried to bump me for £4500!
    Paypal don't deal with anything gun related, so it's gift or no protection/deal anyway I'm afraid - hence I went BACS transfer. I think your idea of credit card cheques may be the best (albeit pricey) way of doing it for any sums of money you really don't want to lose...next time!!

MANY thanks for all advice/information, it's greatly appreciated.

Oly