Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big bores on UK ranges?

Big bores on UK ranges?

I and a friend are planning a trip abroad in the next coming years so I'm planning on getting a rifle that's chambered in a classic African caliber - it's my holy grail to have a big bore double. I'm looking at something either a .416 or .470, so it's very, very doubtful I'd get it for UK quarry. I'd ideally like to be able to use the rifle in UK for practice and load development, so I was wondering if any ranges accomodate such calibers? I've been to a few ranges before and I've spotted people shooting the big bore BP cartidges in Sharps rifles and such, but a nitro would obviously produce for ft/lbs of enery than any black power weapon.

Thanks guys.
    Josh

Lincoln and District rifle and pistol club, cleared for 50 cal.

Membership renewals due now.
    Just Google it.

Regards

Jim.

The Kynamco range at Mildenhall in Suffolk is cleared for all calibres up to .700 Nitro Express. (Possibly up to 20mm cannon as well). So more than suitable for your little plinking calibres
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Crockets ironmonger Glasgow has a big game gun in stock.

+1 for Kynamco. Or find a range on private land that won't be subject to the HME rules.

Andrew

Joshua,

There is a private 100yd range much nearer to you with an MOD Certificate cleared for 5160ft/lbs ME. This encompasses the 416 Rigby, and similar sporting calibres.

.50 BMG doesn't have any application outside Afghanistan, so is officially frowned on ..... but there's also one clown who asks .

PM me if you're serious.

Epperstone Range in notts, has a 100m range that is cleared for all calibers, and a gallery range back to 500m. However the max on the gallery range is 5160ft/lbs.
    If you would like to use the 100m range just let me know, or come and see us on the open day.
    All the best trev.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    so it's very, very doubtful I'd get it for UK quarry
    You'd be surprised, but it depends where you live. I couldn't get expanding ammo organised in bulgaria for a .375 h&h last year but luckily borrowed some out there because I was only allowed solids for zeroing here in the UK. On return I explained the problems to my flo and how developing and testing expanding ammo for talking abroad was the only way to ensure load consistency and availability when there. Arriving somewhere without any ammo available would be a disaster. I would have been happy with just being allowed to test expanding ammo on suitable land but they opened it up for uk quarry. So it's not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Joshua,

.50 BMG doesn't have any application outside Afghanistan, so is officially frowned on ..... but there's also one clown who asks .

PM me if you're serious.
    Wrong information the .50 is use just about every weekend on British ranges the are on this site ,member that own and shoot a .50

Josh
    I'm sure this range can cope with all the details you ask for
    http://www.caltonmoorrange.com/

even has a reloading bench on site
    and probably about an hour from you
    give them a call and see
    ATB