Thread: 30-06 Howa Hogue Ammo compatability

30-06 Howa Hogue Ammo compatability

Hi all, a few weeks ago I was trying to find out which factory ammo works best through a Howa Hogue in 30-06.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been using various different bullet weights and manufacturers and the top four are:

1st Place - 150GR Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip
    2nd Place - 150GR Winchester Super X Power Point
    3rd Place - 180GR Sako Super Hammerhead
    4th Place - 150GR Federal Power-Shok

I fired all at 25m and 100m at static targets using bench-resting and bi-pods and measured the resulting groups to arrive at the above results - I hope this helps if you have one yourself!

Cheers

Roo

Suitable ammo??

I have a Steyr Mannlicher half stock Classic, in .243 that, to date, will only shoot Remington 75 grain Varmint Accutips. I've tried Federal Premium Vital-Shok 100 grains, Winchester 80 grains, Sako 80 grains, Prvi-Partizan 100 grains etc. and can't get them to print. Can anyone save me a bit of money on all this ammo by telling me if they know of rounds they have found suitable in this rifle? Anything from 80 - 100 grains. Meanwhile the quest continues.

my prohunter .243 loved rws 100gn t-mantel, and hated being cleaned.

I've a .243 Weatherby (same action as the Howa) and I've been feeding it two different makes - remington Core-loc in 100GR and RWS Dynamit Nobel in 105GR - loves them both with the point of impact being very similar curiously for both - right up ntil I screw my mod on the barrel - instant scattergun!

Surgical without the can though and Rems are cheap enough compared to RWS....

Re: Suitable ammo??

Quote Originally Posted by Rack
    I have a Steyr Mannlicher half stock Classic, in .243 that, to date, will only shoot Remington 75 grain Varmint Accutips. I've tried Federal Premium Vital-Shok 100 grains, Winchester 80 grains, Sako 80 grains, Prvi-Partizan 100 grains etc. and can't get them to print. Can anyone save me a bit of money on all this ammo by telling me if they know of rounds they have found suitable in this rifle? Anything from 80 - 100 grains. Meanwhile the quest continues.
    I use the remington 75 grs for foxing and the 95grs accutip for stalking. they pattern very well and not much difference between the 2. the 95 grs about 10mm lower at 140m.
    The roe buck I shot with the 95 grs had an exit hole about 30mm across , it didn't touch any ribs when it past through both sides. Took out bit of the heart and one lung. It only staggerd about 10 m and was down dead.
    Very good round imo
    hope this is of some use
    By the way it's a T3 with a Jet z compact mod on it

Jonathon

My Steyr Mannlicher

Thanks for that. I will be trying the Remington 95 gr Accutips next, (now that our gunshop has got some in.) I'll try throwing RWS and Norma into the pot while I'm at it. Incidentally, although we only tried 4 Prvi-Partizan rounds, they might group quite well. I've heard good and bad reports on P-P ammo. Like you I'm using the 75 gr Remington Accutip (Varmints) on foxes and they're mustard!!

Hi Rack,

My Steyr (prohunter) .243 shoots very well with 100g Norma's.

Took delivery of prohunter in .30/06 a few weeks ago but yet to do any proper testing. I have 150g federal and 180g Sako to try first off.

Hi all, thought I'd post a follow-up piece on my 30-06 Howa Rifle.

OK, so the gun itself is delightfully engineered and the barrel is as accurate as any I've fired, but I had mine screw-cut for a moderator and that's where the problem started. The rifle is fantastic at the range, but when being shot in anger, the added weight of the silencer on the barrel caused the retaining screw on the stock to work loose, and stopping to re-assemble your rifle gets old pretty quick!

So, I had a word with Mark Westall, owner of Top Gun and Rod and a chap I go stalking with, and he came up with a Realtree stock from Edgar Bros as shown in the picture. The original stock by Hogue was soft and flexible - this is ridgid and makes the rifle much more useable - so now I've got the gun I wanted in the first place - excellent!

In this picture = Mark Westall (left) Bill Boyce, an excellent stalker of Roe and Muntjak (centre) and Yours Truely with my rifle (right)

Cheers folks,

Roo
    www.TheHuntingAgency.com