Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick Dog

Sick Dog

My dog (GSP) is off colour, he has the trots and has pooed in his cage two nights running which he has never done before. He was out with me all day yesterday and seemed fine, we went stalking this morning and he was fine (his usual, over enthusiastic self). I gave him a bit of muntjac diaphram this morning but thats all hes had today. I suspect that he simply has a dodgy stomach like we all get from time to time. Any one have any advice on feeding over the next few days? Should I let him go hungry for a day, feed him as normal or feed him some rice or scrambled eggs or something? JC

I would suggest a couple of weetabix with a teaspoon of (proper, not crap processed stuff) honey mixed with enough tepid water to make it sticky mushy make sure you are on hand for a few hours after to allow out for the loo
    give it 12 hours with just access to fresh clean water and feed him some plain cooked chicken and rice

the weetabix binds to ikkies in the tummy and takes it all through

Just feed the dog something bland and easily digestible. Pasta/rice with fish/chicken for a couple of days would be fine. Scrambled eggs also fine. Don't starve dogs with diarrhoea as it can make them very sick. The dog needs food in the gut to locally nourish the gut lining cells. Starving the dog potentially reduces the rate the gut can heel and may allow bacteria to get into the bloodstream.

Make sure there is ready access to water.

If no better by middle of next week get him checked out by your vet.

A level teaspoon of Kaolin and Morphine mixed in with food wouldn't go amiss, had to treat my pups with it, smaller doses though, when we first had them, apparently change of water was the cause, terrible mucousy blood flecked diaorrhea, the K&M soon got rid of it.

I would give the dog plain live yogurt. The live bactiria in the yogurt will reconstitute the gut lineing and aid digestion. Then a few days of cooked rabbit or cooked chicken or rice but small and often.

I would sware by the yogurt have used it many times with great effect.

Oh and make sure hes drinking. dogs dehydrate very quickly even under normal conditions

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

We always starve ours for 24hrs if this happens it semms to work well.We often dont feed them for a day every 7-10 days anyway

Quote Originally Posted by J Blane View Post
    We always starve ours for 24hrs if this happens it semms to work well.We often dont feed them for a day every 7-10 days anyway
    Don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Don't do that.
    Thats an interesting one Apache as from your posts you are obviously a vet and I would respect your advice without question however, I have to admit that when my dogs have had a dose in the past, one of our vets has suggested not feeding for the day...

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Thats an interesting one Apache as from your posts you are obviously a vet and I would respect your advice without question however, I have to admit that when my dogs have had a dose in the past, one of our vets has suggested not feeding for the day...
    I'd say it was outdated thinking! I don't doubt almost every vet would have said that 10 years ago.

Read the explanation in my post above [#3]. I agree it's a remote possibility that it can do harm, but it does the dog no good. If there's an infection there the dog has diarrhoea to flush away the problem - it's a protective mechanism. This is why the old fashioned Kaolin mixture can be a bad thing - as a general rule they should be safe to use if the dog is normal apart from the diarrhoea. If the animal is obviously off colour I wouldn't give anything to slow gastrointestinal transit. BTW - never give dogs Immodium [Loperamide], can be poisonous.

Feed diarrhoea, starve vomiting.