had my first primer go off in my hand with the lee loader...

bewsher500

I was of course wearing appropriate eye protection and "hurt locker" blast shield!

Not the ear splitting explosion and flying debris I was expecting!
little more than a hand clap, all contained in the loader.
think I have found the limit to fitting them with a wooden mallet!

There is a definite tone change when seated properly

I inherited 120 once fired Norma brass so set about prepping and priming it all. slow going but should last a while!

I've heard of primers going off before and have always wondered how often this happens. Frequently or very rarely? Furthermore, is it a direct result of getting overzealous with the mallet, or random chance? Cheers.

well one out of over a hundred that I have primed and I was being a bit overzealous with the mallet.
seriously though, I didnt even feel it in my hand and the noise was no louder than someone clapping.

haha, wooden mallet?!

I know a few people who need one to close their bolts - but not seat primers!

Trust it wasn't a Federal primer you were using in your Lee tool!!

federal! wouldn't touch federal of any description. hate their factory rounds, cant imagine buying components of their's

I set off a primer once, and I think everyone who uses the Lee Classic Loader sets one off eventually, but as you said, little comes of it. You really can tell when the primer seats by the sound and feel, can't you? Amazing little tool.~Muir

I set off a primer once, and I think everyone who uses the Lee Classic Loader sets one off eventually, but as you said, little comes of it. You really can tell when the primer seats by the sound and feel, can't you? Amazing little tool.~Muir

it is, thing that concerned me slightly is that mine has a slight protrusion in the centre of the primer holder, presumably from where it was machined. need to buff it down as it leaves a little scratch, not a dimple, in the centre of the primer when seated.
I initially thought they were being dented!

A protrusion from the center of the seating plunger? I'd stone that off... gently... of you can get at it.~Muir

(I've never encountered that!)

I have had a few go pop while seating them with the Lee Loader and a mallet.
No great drama, just a mild pop which is pretty much hidden by the hammer blow, the first clue was the priming rod coming out all sooty.
I decided in the end that a very solid bench with no 'bounce' and small hammer not a mallet was the way to go.
One sharp tap and it is in and seated, it's the second or third tap needed with a mallet that causes the bounce and then the pop.
In the end I just bought a Lee hand primer tool, much easier and quicker.

Neil. :)

oww first post HELLO PEOPLE.

Had one go last week with the 22 lee loader. i was just thinking at the time that i have never had one go and BANG, well ok 'pop' and a little smell smoke.

I use a 4" piece of tile batten on my knee and a big tent wooden mallet to whack the primer home with. i can tell when its seated right at the pitch changes when hitting the seating tool with mallet.

i have just bought a lee primer xr tool to speed that bit up a little.

all the best
Phil.

Last edited:
Set one off trying to quickly get some brass ready in the middle of a busy day. Needless to say I will never try to quickly do anything to do with reloading again. Dedicated "me time" is the key!

Mine also has the very slight central bit that marks the primers. It is uniform on all primers so i'm not bothered by it.

B

Back