Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowhunting in the UK

Bowhunting in the UK

HI there Im from canada and I hear that bowhunting in the Uk is illegal. . . .Is this true? Seems silly if it is

Hi from the uk, as above YES, It became illegal in 1980 ish, it is unlawful to kill any living creature with a bow/crossbow.
    Last edited by patjack; 30-04-2011 at 08:56.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Canadianhunter View Post
    HI there Im from canada and I hear that bowhunting in the Uk is illegal. . . .Is this true? Seems silly if it is
    There is nothing silly about it !
    It is there for the humane [hopefully] destruction of a fine and beautiful creature.
    Few would have the skill to get close enough and many would not have the skill to place the shot correctly.

HWH.

Almost everything is illegal in the UK... although I did read somewhere that it is still legal under some ancient bylaw to shoot a Welshman in the back with a long bow, on the last Sunday of the month.... or something like that
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Almost everything is illegal in the UK... although I did read somewhere that it is still legal under some ancient bylaw to shoot a Welshman in the back with a long bow, on the last Sunday of the month.... or something like that
    ONLY within the City walls of Chester (after 9pm)................ think Iwrch might have comment on this?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Or a Scotsman from the walls round York.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    There is nothing silly about it !
    It is there for the humane [hopefully] destruction of a fine and beautiful creature.
    Few would have the skill to get close enough and many would not have the skill to place the shot correctly.

HWH.
    As above + the fact that in a large animal, arrows unlike a bullet have very limited shock power, basically the animal bleeds to death, thats why hunting arrows have broad tips to sever as many blood vessels as possible.

In smaller animals rabbits for example death would be pretty much instant, plus you can get arrows with a large blunt tip for this.

I am was an archer.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    basically the animal bleeds to death
    Isn't that what happens when I put a 170gr .308 roundnose through a hind's chest?

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    As above + the fact that in a large animal, arrows unlike a bullet have very limited shock power, basically the animal bleeds to death, thats why hunting arrows have broad tips to sever as many blood vessels as possible.

In smaller animals rabbits for example death would be pretty much instant, plus you can get arrows with a large blunt tip for this.

I am was an archer.
    And what do you think a bullet does????
    Bleeds to death is the correct answer.
    Broad points are for wound channel, effectively to let the blood out.
    Two different ways of achieving the same thing, only the bullet does it faster.