Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac Eating Carrion?????

Muntjac Eating Carrion?????

Just been looking at a page from Wikipedia. They are suggesting that muntjac are an omnivore?

Indian Muntjac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Has anyone personally seen a muntjac eating birds' eggs as well as small animals and even carrion. I had never known this before if it is true? It seems unlikely??

The Common Muntjac (Muntiacus muntjak), also called the Red Muntjac[2], Indian Muntjac or Barking deer is the most numerous muntjac deer species. It has soft, short, brownish or greyish hair, sometimes with creamy markings. This species is omnivorous, feeding on fruits, shoots, seeds, birds' eggs as well as small animals and even carrion. It gives calls similar to barking, usually on sensing a predator (hence the common name for all muntjacs of barking deer).

Any thoughts.

Cheers

Ross

saw that too ross not had first hand experience of them doing that !
    regards
    norma

They will dig for moles and climb trees to get at eggs and fledglings.

(must remember to add that to the wiki page...)
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

I think it was University of East Anglia that filmed one eating some ground nesting bird fledglings which they were filming!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I think it was University of East Anglia that filmed one eating some ground nesting bird fledglings which they were filming!
    MS
    It was!

Don't believe everything on Wikepidia, there is no way of checking what ***** you publish on it!

put x2 canadas out for fox bait last last night those muntys better not eat em !! and before i get too much stick the said canadas were shi*ing all over the cricket square at school and and i did manage to chainsaw the breast meat off

Believe it or not there are species such as the Yellow Back Duiker in West Africa which also eats rotting flesh and can be omniverous. This is usually for salts and minerals that they do not recieve from their natural food.

I have never seen or heard of a Munty undertaking such a deed but I would not be over suprised.

Was told by a respected keeper in Scotland that red deer will chew on bones to get the calcium
    Never seen a Muntie climbing trees though

I saw one chasing a pheasant the other day!! Whether it would have eaten it if caught I don't know Probably protecting a fawn I guess??

ATB

T