Fallow Buck on last day of the season

Hi,

I was invited to stalk over at a friends ground in hope of seeing a roe or fallow buck, yesterday being 30th April would have been the last time I would have been able to shoot a fallow buck.

I had been to the same ground earlier in the week. Where I decided to sit and wait all I saw on the first visit was a very fat roe doe. She fed in front of me for 40 minutes, she already had started to show her summer coat on legs and some patches on her back. She was feeding just beneath the hawthorn bush, 87 yards away in the centre of the photo. No buck showed so back home to work after a 4am start leaving the roe in peace as she was not aware of my presence.

IMG00138-20110430-2001.jpg

The stalk yesterday, I approached the same setting as above and stalked along a hedge line. Upon getting to almost the same position the above photo was taken but 50 yards to the left, I saw a fallow pricket browsing. I could also see another fallow but its head and shoulders were out of site. They were almost on the same spot as the roe doe I had seen earlier in the week.

They were 117 yards away ranged with my mates new Leica geovids after the event, as he was 1/2 a mile away in another likely spot where he shot a young muntjac buck on our earlier outing.

The shot was taken prone off my bipod, the reaction was as expected and it dropped on the spot after the 130 grain .270 bullet hit home.

The other deer then broke cover and he was the biggest palmated buck I have ever seen in the wild, even bigger than some I have seen in deer parks!! My mate would not have been worried if I also took out this massive beast but he did not stand to offer a shot, I was pleased to come home with this beast anyway.

IMG00137-20110430-1919.jpg

I dragged it back to where the above photo was taken and gralloched him. I text my mate to say I would need a hand with the extraction, 10 minutes later he arrived and helped to start dragging him the 1/2 a mile towards the car. After 200 yards we both decided to try and get my car nearer would be a far better idea!! After almost grounding out my BMW more than once we got to the extraction point and loaded him in the plasterers bath. A snug fit!!

IMG00139-20110430-2057.jpg

Got home and finished the larder work, larder weight was 94lb.

My spaniel chewed on the legs until the early hours and off to bed very pleased with the stalk.

IMG00140-20110501-0034.jpg

I am sure next time I go all I will see is fallow deer and roe does.

Thanks so much to my mate who kindly took me to his ground, you know who you are ;). Will repay the favour again soon.

Cheers

Ross

Last edited:
What a way to finish the Fallow season!!
Just think, if you had shot the second buck you what still have been there dragging them out! :lol:
basil.

Nice write up and pics Ross.. cant beat a nice pricket for eating either.. Keep the reports coming!

ATB,

FF

I agree they taste great.

Shame no room in my freezer, already been off to the game dealer this morning, £1 and lb. Not a bad price??

Cheers

Ross

What a way to finish the Fallow season!!
Just think, if you had shot the second buck you what still have been there dragging them out! :lol:
basil.

You are probably right basil.

My car was grounding out enough anyway, with the extra deer in the boot we would have ripped the sump or exhaust off!!! As well as getting blood in my clean car, the plasterers tray would not have fitted both of them in. Mental note for next time, take tarpaulin for an extra large beast!!!

Cheers

Ross

ross what ive done is drilled some holes in the plasters bath front and back and passed a rope through them on the outside of the tub (if you know what i mean) i then take the tub to the beast and use the tub as a sleigh, make things a lot eaiser.

ATB
Dave

ross what ive done is drilled some holes in the plasters bath front and back and passed a rope through them on the outside of the tub (if you know what i mean) i then take the tub to the beast and use the tub as a sleigh, make things a lot eaiser.

ATB
Dave

Great idea Dave. Maybe I will use the kids sledge instead, if it is only a muntjac or roe!!

Drill out later on me thinks. I may even get a harness so you can drag it free hand.

Cheers

Ross

£1/lb for fallow is a very good price i would say!

I get £1/lb for any deer, I have known the owner of the said game dealer/butchers since he was born. His brothers and I all grew up together. He also pays £1.10 per medium/large rabbits. A good guy to know.

Cheers

Ross

Nice wrte up mate ,just wish i had fallow to go at .Sounds like you need a 4x4 mate as the misus will be moaning soon about the claret .

Nice wrte up mate ,just wish i had fallow to go at .Sounds like you need a 4x4 mate as the misus will be moaning soon about the claret .

Hi Foxdropper,

I have got a 4WD but its only a little Suzuki SJ My shooting wagon , this ground is a good 30 minutes drive in my BMW so at least 45 in the SJ.

I have been out with one of my colleagues and they commented on some "tomato ketchup" that was on one of the insides of the door, little did they know it was blood from some roe that I had culled that weekend. I blamed it on the kids and said must have been from a McDonalds trip.

Out again tonight after a muntjac, my Mrs and I have been out for a walk there yesterday and we saw 2 muntjac bucks and 1 doe. So fingers crossed!!

Cheers

Ross

Nice write up mate, shame about the big buck but he'll be there again next year! We get £1.50 per lb at a local butchers, he takes every Roe we get now.

Like you say he will be there for next year and judging by the size of him I am sure he will be spreading his oats during the rut!! I will try and catch up with his smaller relatives when the season starts again!!!

Cheers

Ross

Well done Ross
Always good to end a season on a high and at 94lb, not a bad one either:cool:

Cheers mate. Still waiting for the £94 back from my mate the butcher. When I do I will buy myself a well deserved pint.

I will be over your way in the next 2 weeks when I am seeing my auntie. I will give you a call when I know what date.

Cheers

Ross

Back