Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheat cycle

wheat cycle

Hi

Two farms I have permission on are covered in wheat. It is currently about 12-18 " high. When would the grain start to appear and attract the deer? I'm in the south east

Atb Steve

Does wheat ever attract deer ? I guess I'm only used to seeing Roe and they only seem to feed on wheat fields in late winter, and then I've been told they will only be eating the weeds out of the crop (don't tell the estate manager that though ).

Quote Originally Posted by Bordersman View Post
    Hi

Two farms I have permission on are covered in wheat. It is currently about 12-18 " high. When would the grain start to appear and attract the deer? I'm in the south east

Atb Steve
    Six weeks from ear to shear is what they say round here so if harvest is beginning of august mid june

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    Does wheat ever attract deer ? I guess I'm only used to seeing Roe and they only seem to feed on wheat fields in late winter, and then I've been told they will only be eating the weeds out of the crop (don't tell the estate manager that though ).
    Quite often see roe feeding on ripening or ripe wheat ears, the red deer love them

boardersman We only have roe around my places and as previously said roe will only be eating weeds in the corn I think you will be best looking round the hedges as they will be browsing the bramble and hawthorne buds and fresh leaves.one area I stalk on I have seen deer nipping new shoots off Hemlock early on though they seem to leave it alone after mid june it must get tough and bitter then I have no intention of checking this theory though.Fallow are the big problem in crops as they will flatten it by laying out in it as much as eating it.

hi bordersman i think ear emergance should be the begining of june. it will then be a few weeks after this when the grain is at a part milky part powdery stage that the deer are most attracted to the wheat. although i am willing to be corrected as it was a good few years ago it went to college for agriculture and was more interested in shooting the crows that flatten the corn than at what growth stage it was at. that will teach me to listen wont it

regards pj

Quote Originally Posted by monynut View Post
    Quite often see roe feeding on ripening or ripe wheat ears,
    Agreed though browsers i have seen roe take wheat ears. And have found them in grallochs. While I would say its not actually an attractant for roe they will eat it.
    I find it hard to believe 2 local well respected stalkers have not seen this on their ground?.
    Roe will also eat grain from feeders so whats the difference?
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 01-05-2011 at 22:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Bordersman View Post
    Hi

Atb Steve
    If you don't get some rain the ears may not emerge at all!!

Barley has started to shoot walkes through some in friday but as you say when it does without rain ears will not fill.

And yes John is correct they will eat wheat they can be a nusance on shoots knocking feeders over especially in bad weather.
    But I have never seen where they have caused significant damage to a standing crop.on the other hand they must eat as much as a small sheep so another reason to control.
    Last edited by roedeerred; 02-05-2011 at 07:27. Reason: points added

I have seen roe on winter wheat and on spring wheat they seem to like it for the first two to three weeks then they use it to lie in and eat on the train trac,s