Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PRVI Ammo

Blog Entries

PRVI Ammo

Has anyone had any practical experience of PRVI Partizan rounds in .243 for deer stalking?

I use Federal at the moment and that works well in my Varberger but is expensive to use on foxes and I want an all rounder to be able to put through the gun at varying bullet weights.

The couple of reports I have are mixed.

I find it ok. Better in 90gn than 100 I think but both acceptable in my rifle. Best to buy a box and test them out, you'll only be eleven quid worse off and maybe better in the long run.

I use 100gn Prvi in my .243 Steyr SSG for Roe and Muntjac. They work just fine. For foxes I prefer to use homeloaded 75gn V-Max but I have never had a charlie live to complain about being shot with a Prvi.

I've tried the 90g in my T3, pretty good on Roe & fox.

My only dislike was they were a bit on the tight side (close'n the bolt).

I'm back to Federal, that said you'll not beat the Prvi on price.

Bear in mind though you only get what you pay for !!!!

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

seems ok so far on paper targets not had chance to see how good on anything live yet and shot tighter groups than remmys in mine and mates 243 rifles

Uncle Buck, there was a batch of .243 ammo that came into the country early last year that was tight to chamber, not so tight they couldn't be used but a bit out of the ordinary to say the least.
    That was about the time they changed the head stamp from the Russian 'MRY' to Serbian 'PPU' I have had rounds since then and they are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Uncle Buck, there was a batch of .243 ammo that came into the country early last year that was tight to chamber, not so tight they couldn't be used but a bit out of the ordinary to say the least.
    That was about the time they changed the head stamp from the Russian 'MRY' to Serbian 'PPU' I have had rounds since then and they are OK.
    Thanks for the advice EMcC, a bit freaky nonetheless.

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Its too hit & miss for me, some batches had reliable 2" groups fine for centre shot fox @ 100yds , there abouts, but not good enough for anything else. It made me lack confidence & wary where the lead would hit. sometimes 2" high, then low , Then 3" to one side..f thattttt!! ! Ok what its made for ...... military use, & malicious wounding.

Quote Originally Posted by MrYou View Post
    Its too hit & miss for me, some batches had reliable 2" groups fine for centre shot fox @ 100yds , there abouts, but not good enough for anything else. It made me lack confidence & wary where the lead would hit. sometimes 2" high, then low , Then 3" to one side..f thattttt!! ! Ok what its made for ...... military use, & malicious wounding.
    mate uses them in his t3 and zero s on my range at home he always seems to take ages messin about when i asked him he was the same as the above ,think i will stick to my norma stuff for now till i can be brave enough to reload

Goes well in my T3 but did have some of the tight rounds mentioned.