A WHT Stamp for stalkers?

User00023

A contributor to an earlier thread suggested that stalkers consider supporting the work of the WHT.

Currently, the principle beneficiaries of the work of the WHT are wildfowling groups, but I can see no reason why, given sufficient support, the stalking fraternity shouldn't also benefit. Many of us have taken advantage of the current Stalking Schemes and, I'm sure, would be only too happy to see these developed further.

If the revenue was put towards the conservation or purchase of land suitable for stalking, how many SD contributors would consider purchasing an annual "Deer Stamp" ?

Will they release healthy fit deer ,into areas where there is an abundance of land , to keep us busy , free of red tape & legislation . I seem to remeber the AONB & National park schemes saying nothing would change !! Until they gained strength, money & told us to F off ! :-|

Last edited:
They would no more release healthy, fit deer than do 'fowling groups release wildfowl. The current schemes operate within the ranges of natural populations and serve as means of manangement as would any other DMG.

As it says on the WHT web site, the Wildlife Habitat Trust (WHT) is dedicated to raising and distributing funds to help with the acquisition of land either for shooting, especially wildfowling or for nature conservation, or both.

The WHT provides grants to help manage sites for wildlife and is now turning its attention to providing some support for local and national Biodiversity Action Plans (BAPs).

Most recently, grants have been given to help with the conservation of grey partridge, water voles and dormice. These grants support the conservation objectives of the RSPB, the Environment Agency and English Nature.

There is nothing stopping a stalking group from applying for funding.

It’s taken a long time for WHT to build up the reserves it now has, and if you set up another trust you will simply double the costs of administering / promoting the trust, so maybe it’s better to concentrate on just one trust for shooters?

David

Thank you, David. That's excellent news and should be warmly welcomed by the stalking fraternity.

I feel I should point out that I made no mention of setting up a second trust. My suggestion was solely that a deer stamp be issued to entice stalkers to contribute to the fund. It would also raise awareness amongst stalkers that they too can play a greater role in conservation projects.

Last edited:
there as already been stamps featuring Grey Partridge and Blackgrouse so I cannot see any reason why deer cannot be featured.

The WHT is very important for wildfowling as there are only a limited number of locations where the sport takes place, the vast majority of which are also prime sites for vaious conservation bodies such as the RSPB wishing to buy up land for reserves. 10's of thousands of acres of former wildfowling ground have been lost in this way as the wildfowling clubs just could not compete against the spending power of the RSPB et al. The WHT at least provides a source of funds (in the form of loans) to allow the clubs at least a chance of fighting back and gives them some means of buying land if/when it comes on the market.

Sorry Iwrch if I misunderstood your point and I would agree that there is no reason a deer could not be on a stamp, but ducks have featured heavily as the stamp tends to be best supported by the wildfowling community.

I think non duck species have only featured occasionally as there is a risk that the traditional WHT market may not be so keen to buy a ‘non duck stamp’ but lets see what we can do to get ALL shooting disciplines supporting the WHT and building a lager fund.

I also fully support what mudman says - the more land shooters can secure the better if we don't then someone else will!!

David

Iwrch...

I for one would fully and wholeheartedly support such a scheme as, apart from the conservation issues, it would help provide better (and controlled) facilities for both novice and experienced stalkers. As with existing BASC schemes 'best practice' could be adopted throughout leading to a much higher level of 'stalker status'. As a marketing tool, this would also lead (eventually) to our activities being more readily accepted by the 'antis' and further protecting our stalking.

IMHO

Rocky

...there is a risk that the traditional WHT market may not be so keen to buy a ‘non duck stamp’...

Quite so. I certainly wouldn't advocate fixing something that isn't broken; but what about a second, non feathered stamp? Six species of deer, two species of hare, the rabbit and the fox. Immediately, we have ten years of fur stamps if each species was taken in turn.

..building a lager fund.

Conservation and BEER!!! Excellent!!!! Wrexham Lager, I presume?

:lol:

Last edited:
As David BASC states:

Most recently, grants have been given to help with the conservation of grey partridge, water voles and dormice. These grants support the conservation objectives of the RSPB, the Environment Agency and English Nature.

I dont know about other areas of the country but shooting of any sort has been stopped on ALL the areas the above agencies have purchased around here. English nature have even stopped the shooting of rabbits 'because they graze the grasses on the dunes allowing the dunes to naturally move', fgs the area is looking at catastrophe if these dunes are destroyed and to whom do they answer......nobody. They decide policy without any public consultation and change our rights of access with no method of appeal.......wassocks

I think there are many ways that funds could be generated, and personally I would like to see a range of items that could be purchased to support the Trust,.

David

I would definitely buy a stamp. Wildfowlers have benefitted from this scheme, and it would be good if stalking members also had an opportunity to do so.

There is nothing stopping a stalking group / club / syndicate applying for a loan or grant right now - details are on the WHT web site

David

Thank you, David. That's excellent news and should be warmly welcomed by the stalking fraternity.

I feel I should point out that I made no mention of setting up a second trust. My suggestion was solely that a deer stamp be issued to entice stalkers to contribute to the fund. It would also raise awareness amongst stalkers that they too can play a greater role in conservation projects.

Sorry Iwrch if I misunderstood your point and I would agree that there is no reason a deer could not be on a stamp, but ducks have featured heavily as the stamp tends to be best supported by the wildfowling community.

I think non duck species have only featured occasionally as there is a risk that the traditional WHT market may not be so keen to buy a ‘non duck stamp’ but lets see what we can do to get ALL shooting disciplines supporting the WHT and building a lager fund.

I also fully support what mudman says - the more land shooters can secure the better if we don't then someone else will!!

David

I applaud the idea of a fur stamp and the idea that more land could be gained for deer management by BASC members, and to conserve land properly. Having spent a fortunate amount of time on the foreshore as a guest of Gloucster Wildfowlers and having seen what they have achieved with flightponds and correct habitat management, it can only be a good idea.

There could be a movement of building deer lawns in some of the fairly sterile forestry blocks that there are around, which is a great idea!

Better that the "Wrexham lager" one, I would prefer a proper brown beer rather than some of this new continental rubbish. I'm all for BAPS though!!

Simon

LACS have a policy of buying land, and then selling it again, but with the sporting rights retained. Anything that produces mores funds that could help us to counter this has to be a good idea.

All joking apart (thanks to my poor spelling) WHT did launch a beer this year called ‘Giddy Goose’ profits from which will help WHT.

I agree that many wildfowling clubs have benefited from WHT grants and loans in the past, and will continue to do so, and although I am not part of WHT nor do it sit in on any of their meetings, I wish they would actively spread their wings wider to encourage others branches of shooting to get involved and benefit.

Having said all that WHT is only one funding option for shoots, our land management team are here to help if they can – see here:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/land-management/

David.

Back