Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moderators

moderators

Hi all,

just wondering if there any stainless or rust proof strippable moderators about if so what are my options.

Thanks Matt

I have a T12 scout on my 6.5 x 55 abd one on my .223. Cracking little mods and strippable...whatever mod you get remember to remove it after shooting or you will get acid attacking your barrel and dont put WD 40 down etc....just let it dry naturally.

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/...oderators.html
    Last edited by chickenman; 02-05-2011 at 09:23.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    I have a T12 scout on my 6.5 x 55 abd one on my .223. Cracking little mods and strippable...whatever mod you get remember to remove it after shooting or you will get acid attacking your barrel and dont put WD 40 down etc....just let it dry naturally.

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/...oderators.html
    Chickenman, please can you tell me why you say not to use WD40 as most (non-strippable) moderator manufacturers recommend it?

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Chickenman, please can you tell me why you say not to use WD40 as most (non-strippable) moderator manufacturers recommend it?

Simon
    I do recall reading something like what you said about wd40 in an airgun magazine a long while ago because it could cause a dieseling effect, maybe this would be why, apart from if it were to run down the barrel it would cause high pressure and usually a flyer

Quote Originally Posted by 09mutley05 View Post
    I do recall reading something like what you said about wd40 in an airgun magazine a long while ago because it could cause a dieseling effect, maybe this would be why, apart from if it were to run down the barrel it would cause high pressure and usually a flyer
    And that if you do not remove it, it becomes hygroscopic.
    (love my customers using WD40, get no end of work from it!)

A tec camm4 weighs only 220 grams, strippable and does the job !

As a builder,we were told at college to never use wd40 on locks etc,so i have never used it on my rifles,instead i use a proper gun oil.

Amazing, not using WD-40? Jacksons recommend using it on T8's, so i have. Three years, no rust. I always dry it out after use though.

And having done a bit of 4WD-off roading and wading with petrol engined vehicles, I would not have wanted to be without WD-40.

Mind you, I was always taught that a liberal use of mineral oil on exposed moving parts caused a grinding paste to form, so we were taught to use grease where possible. Still, times change.

Simon
    Last edited by flytie; 02-05-2011 at 18:49. Reason: I forget!
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I have the stealth 10 mod on a 243, from the wholeshootingmatch its very quiet but very heavy it is stainless and strippable, the prdator 8 is also proving rustproof and stripable. Both are good and not rusting in 3-4 years, I never take them off and dry them(well only for cleaning and when they get soaked), cos they come out pretty much every day and several times, I reckon I'll shoot out the barrels before they rust, I also only use stainless barrels.

WD40?

I wouldn't let a can of that cr*p within a mile of anything I wanted to clean or lubricate - not just firearms.

The clue is in the name, Water Displacement 40th attempt - that's right, it took 40 attempts to get the formulation right!

It's not the best lubricant, it's not the best penetration oil, it's not the best electrical contact cleaner, but it might just clear water away - as it says on the tin! There are far better alternatives available for the specific lubrication and cleaning tasks we need to undertake with any equipment.

It will however eat some plastics or make them brittle, and it will leave a gunky residue when the solvent/propellent evaporates - try it, spray some in a glass and put it on the shelf. Check after a week or so and consider if you want that mank on your electrical connections, switchgear or in any orifices in castings/machined metal.

Other than the above, I think it's great stuff.
    Last edited by Orion; 03-05-2011 at 13:26.