Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short barrel (50cm) 30-06, powders and opinions?

Short barrel (50cm) 30-06, powders and opinions?

Soon to buy myself a new rifle and I've been thinking about going for a short barrel 30-06, anybody using one, how are you finding it?

I'm getting a lot more involved in the moose hunting team and will be doing lots of walking, covering a lot of ground with the dogs, so thought that the shorter barrel would be very handy in the tight forest and for tracking.

I would like to be pushing a 185grain at approx 750m/s ~ 2460fps and will be using a mod to tame the recoil a little!

Any thoughts about the setup and potential powders to achieve the above 750 m/s from a 50cm barrel?

I crunched the numbers into quick load and VVN150 and MRP seem pretty good! But what concerns me with some powder options is the % of unburnt powder according to Quickload, is there a minimum percent you should aim for, e.g 95%?

Thanks in advance!
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Jon, I acquired this 20.5" Blaser 30/06 last year:

I have to say I have not used it that much yet, but I found it gave great accuracy and decent velocity with Reloder 17. I also found it was pretty accurate with cheap Privvi ammo, so I have not bothered to load for it since.

Oh yeah, I now have a mod fitted, an ASE Utra, rifle is a complete pussy cat to shoot.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 02-05-2011 at 13:41.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    Soon to buy myself a new rifle and I've been thinking about going for a short barrel 30-06, anybody using one, how are you finding it?

I'm getting a lot more involved in the moose hunting team and will be doing lots of walking, covering a lot of ground with the dogs, so thought that the shorter barrel would be very handy in the tight forest and for tracking.

I would like to be pushing a 185grain at approx 750m/s ~ 2460fps and will be using a mod to tame the recoil a little!

Any thoughts about the setup and potential powders to achieve the above 750 m/s from a 50cm barrel?

I crunched the numbers into quick load and VVN150 and MRP seem pretty good! But what concerns me with some powder options is the % of unburnt powder according to Quickload, is there a minimum percent you should aim for, e.g 95%?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jon,

20" is plenty for a 30.06 in terms of ballistics, but deleterious in terms of sensational muzzle flash and a jolly good bang when it goes off.

From my experience going to a slow powder ( in terms of the cartridge's range ) is good fo getting high performace out of the 06, if you have enough barrel to burn it. For example using 62gr of H4350 under a 150gr bullet gives me 3000fps in my 22" barreled 30.06 with no pressure signs whereas 2850 is the highest I can get with H4895 before I start getting pressure signs.

With the 180 grain bullet the situation is not quite as simple, 60 gr of H4831 should according to the book give at least 2750 with no pressure whilst 57.5gr of H4350 should give around 2800 but because I don't have the barrel to burn it in I get 2550 and a lot of flash from the slower powder.

In your case I am reminded by something a wise friend of mine said, "Shooting a 30.06 is the best way to easily achieve advertised 308 ballistics". The performance you've required above is achievable in a 308 and I think you'll agree that there is not much between a .308 and a .3006 with these bullet weights.

With ultimate velocity out of the equation you're main priority as I see it is getting the speed you need with the least amount of powder, and therefore flash, bang and kick, possible.

Try H4895 and similar burn rate powders in quickload, you should be able to make your speeds with well under 45 grains of powder.

Reloder 17 is good but for your purposes not needed if you can get the speed you need with much less powder.

Beautiful stock on that blaser C_D

Thanks for the reply, thinking about getting an over the barrel A-Tec to tame it and keep the length down.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Jon, I acquired this 20.5" Blaser 30/06 last year:

I have to say I have not used it that much yet, but I found it gave great accuracy and decent velocity with Reloder 17. I also found it was pretty accurate with cheap Privvi ammo, so I have not bothered to load for it since.

Oh yeah, I now have a mod fitted, an ASE Utra, rifle is a complete pussy cat to shoot.
    Jonathan

Thank you for the info Grandhubert, I'll have a play about with quickload and see what comes out best!

I agree there little between the .308 & 30-06, but I wanted a shorter barrel and a heavy bullet and reading the reloading manuals thought this would prob be a hot load in a .308 but not so in the 30-06, I've never loaded for .30 calibers, so this is new for me!

Is the % of propellant burnt something to be concerned about?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post
    Hi Jon,

20" is plenty for a 30.06 in terms of ballistics, but deleterious in terms of sensational muzzle flash and a jolly good bang when it goes off.

From my experience going to a slow powder ( in terms of the cartridge's range ) is good fo getting high performace out of the 06, if you have enough barrel to burn it. For example using 62gr of H4350 under a 150gr bullet gives me 3000fps in my 22" barreled 30.06 with no pressure signs whereas 2850 is the highest I can get with H4895 before I start getting pressure signs.

With the 180 grain bullet the situation is not quite as simple, 60 gr of H4831 should according to the book give at least 2750 with no pressure whilst 57.5gr of H4350 should give around 2800 but because I don't have the barrel to burn it in I get 2550 and a lot of flash from the slower powder.

In your case I am reminded by something a wise friend of mine said, "Shooting a 30.06 is the best way to easily achieve advertised 308 ballistics". The performance you've required above is achievable in a 308 and I think you'll agree that there is not much between a .308 and a .3006 with these bullet weights.

With ultimate velocity out of the equation you're main priority as I see it is getting the speed you need with the least amount of powder, and therefore flash, bang and kick, possible.

Try H4895 and similar burn rate powders in quickload, you should be able to make your speeds with well under 45 grains of powder.

Reloder 17 is good but for your purposes not needed if you can get the speed you need with much less powder.
    Jonathan

Hi Jonathon, is this the M03 you're thinking about? How about a 8x57 mauser, slow heavy bullets at moderate velocity and slightly larger diameter. Jørund Lien loves his Sauer Outback in 8x57 and has taken game as varied as grouse and geese to boar and elk.
    Regards Toby.

Hi mate,

I was all set on the M03 Extreme but then I had a hold of the Sauer 202 Classic XT at the hunting exhibition in Lillestrøm and I was impressed, I also preferred the round bolt handle on this model to the spoon shape on the others!

I'm leaning towards a 30-06 as I want to keep the barrel short but still get a velocity of around 750m/s with a 185 grain, should be just the ticket for the moose hunt! Going to Landrø with Bernt on Saturday to have a chat and see if I can get a good deal as I want a new scope as well

I'll let you know how I get on!

Let me know next time your going to the range and we can meet up?

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    Hi Jonathon, is this the M03 you're thinking about? How about a 8x57 mauser, slow heavy bullets at moderate velocity and slightly larger diameter. Jørund Lien loves his Sauer Outback in 8x57 and has taken game as varied as grouse and geese to boar and elk.
    Regards Toby.
    Jonathan

Why hobble a cartridge like 30-06 with a 19" barrel? .308 would have a much easier time burning all it's powder in a barrel of that length, and you'd end up with the same velocity using a lot less powder.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Harry mac, thanks for the reply!

short barrels and 30 cal is new ground to me, so I was just going by the reloading data in the books and thought it might be a struggle/ hot load to get the .308 to push a 185 grain at 750m/s with a 50cm barrel.

Do you have some load data recommendations for a short barrel .308 so I can have a play around in Quickload?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Why hobble a cartridge like 30-06 with a 19" barrel? .308 would have a much easier time burning all it's powder in a barrel of that length, and you'd end up with the same velocity using a lot less powder.
    Jonathan

Johner

As you know i use the 06 a fair bit. I will not disagree with previous posters about barrell lenght, but i am pretty sure that a longer barrell gets the best out of the calibre over varied use. I have a lightweight muzzle can that helps with any flip and makes the rifle as has been put " a pussy"

I am currently working on two loads for my trip. One with 150 Barnes bullets and one with 165 Hornady SST. Everything tells me that a 24" barrel will get the best out of the loads.

I have found our American friends are really very helpful with this calibre.

Cheers
    Redneck