Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a scope

Buying a scope

Hi guys i am after any advice on what to buy. I stalk woodland and hill could have 900 950 to spend on a scope. Quite like the zeiss 3-12 x 50 duralite or a Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14 x56. all advice welcome.

Thanks john

SD Regular
    Shouldn't need to spend anything like that money on the Zeiss - 679 at SGC, so bound to do better on a hunt round. If you wan to spend the money, you could do a lot worse than the Nightforce 5.5-22x56 up on here at the mo. Are you set on varimag?
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Swarovski, no question. Nothing wrong with the Zeiss or Leupold but if you have the cash there now buy the best and enjoy it before anyone decides you 'need' a new washing machine or the car breaks down etc. As to what model, thats going to be a ten page thread! JC

"Shouldn't need to spend anything like that money on the Zeiss - 679 at SGC"

He may mean the illuminated reticle which is about that price.
    Could always look at what Gregor has at Macleods of Tain and Swillington shooting supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by john clem View Post
    Hi guys i am after any advice on what to buy. I stalk woodland and hill could have 900 950 to spend on a scope. Quite like the zeiss 3-12 x 50 duralite or a Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14 x56. all advice welcome.

Thanks john

John, with that budget, I would not buy either of the scopes you list, and certainly not the Leupold.

Go on MacLeod's website and look at the ex-demo stock. 900 will buy a new PH 3-12x50, or a Z6 in 1.7-10x42 or a 2-12x50 - These are proper hunting scopes, don't get fooled into big heavy tactical type scope with all the knobs and bells, keep it simple.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

you could do a lot worse than the Nightforce 5.5-22x56 up on here at the mo.

Thought he was going woodland stalking????? Cannot see how this fits the bill IMHO keep it simple. Snipers rifles are for snipers and long target folk not stalkers.

As for Leupold scopes, the money is spent on marketing not R&D, some love them I dont, again just my tuppenceworth.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 308boy View Post
    you could do a lot worse than the Nightforce 5.5-22x56 up on here at the mo.

Thought he was going woodland stalking????? Cannot see how this fits the bill IMHO keep it simple. Snipers rifles are for snipers and long target folk not stalkers.

As for Leupold scopes, the money is spent on marketing not R&D, some love them I dont, again just my tuppenceworth.
    Agreed, but OP also stated hill stalking too - The mag range of the Nightforce gives him a nice range to cover both activities (IMO), with excellent low-light transmission and is a high quality scope in the price range specified. While I also agree that keeping it simple is best, we are not the OP and are therefore, as requested, offering options for him to consider where no-one is more right or wrong than the other. The OP may not have listed target shooting as a primary purpose of the scope, but in hindsight may want that capability - only he knows. At the end of the day, he will choose what he feels most comfortable with - as we all do.

Agreed on Leupold - not the VfM they used to be. Not bad glass though. And just for the record, I'd go Swarovski if they did what I wanted for the budget. S&B also a good bet.
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 04-05-2011 at 08:50. Reason: additional information
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

feel the need to defend the humble Leupold for some reason.
    I have two and neither one cost over 500. Both very well made, very clean and clear.
    one VX3 6.5-20x40
    one VX1 4-12x40

That said I wouldn't dream of spending your budget on one of their higher end scopes. They are a 300-600 option IMO.

Uttings do the zeiss duralite 3-12 x50 for 600 think I will go for that I have looked through one of these and liked it. So thanks for all your comments.

John

Americans have a different measure of quality glass than we do in Europe. I have never hunted with Leopold but have looked through a few - last one I looked through the owner offered to swap it for my 8X56 S&B and was gutted when I told him I bought mine second hand for 250. He'd paid a lot more for a scope that wasn't anywhere near as nice. I'd guess mine is now worth more than 250 and his Leopold is worth pretty much nothing.

As others have said take a look at MacLeods and their ex-demo and second hand stock and buy a top notch Euro optic. In your situation, to be honest, I'd buy a fixed mag second hand scope and spend the rest on stalking. I use my 8X56 both in woodland and on the hill and I've shot deer from 20 to 220 yards with it and never wanted more, or less, magnification. You might pick one up for 350 these days, that would leave you 600 for stalking which would buy you 4 days at red hinds and you'd always know you had the best scope money would buy!