Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearms certificate

Firearms certificate

Can any of you lads explain or put me right on this one..........

Is it against the law to leave your firearms cert in your vehicle ( even if your not out shooting)

Thanks
    Tommy

Where else would you keep it? Mine spends 99% of it's life in my glove box. I take it into the RFD to buy stuff and then put it back. The only time it gets more than 50 metres from the car is if I go shooting with someone away from my vehicle.

Guys,

Big difference in law between in your possession and on your possession.

Now all you have to give plod is your name and postcode and they have all your details and firearms/shotguns serial numbers instantly. It is still wise to have ID to support who you are in all walks of life.

I carry a photocopy of FAC and permission letters " in the unlikely event".

Stan

I take this to mean "in your possession" (i.e. you know where it is, haven't lost it and no-one else has obtained it) and "on your person" (i.e. carrying it).
    I believe the requirement is "in your possession" but in some circumstances "on your person" can save hassle (unless you lose it!)

SD Regular
    I wouldn't want to have to explain why I needed a replacement in the event of theft of or from my car...!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Didnt shooting times do something like this regarding leaving guns in cars? If I recall if you have taken all reasonable precautions...ie with a firearm left in a car with bolt out, out of sight , doors locked and alarm on ( not recommended but there are times when it might have to be for a short period ). If it then gets stolen you are not a criminal....the thief is. Surely this would apply to a certificate?? You might get treated like a criminal by the powers that be but having anything stolen doesnt make you one. A theft from a car could happen anywhere, even if you were parked at the police station.
    Last edited by chickenman; 04-05-2011 at 12:03.

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Guys,

Big difference in law between in your possession and on your possession.

Now all you have to give plod is your name and postcode and they have all your details and firearms/shotguns serial numbers instantly. It is still wise to have ID to support who you are in all walks of life.

I carry a photocopy of FAC and permission letters " in the unlikely event".

Stan
    You hit the nail right on the head there Stan.

I'm for the Photocopy and permission's, I dont fancy loose'n it or have'n it stolen from my car.

It's just your luck of the draw. Been pulled on a couple of ocassions some officers, shall we say

of a shooting creed understand, while others want to see the original cert.

Rgds, Buck.

PS. Unless i'm driving a considerable distance in which case i take the Real McCoy!
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Didnt shooting times do something like this regarding leaving guns in cars? If I recall if you have taken all reasonable precautions...ie with a firearm left in a car with bolt out, out of sight , doors locked and alarm on ( not recommended but there are times when it might have to be for a short period ). If it then gets stolen you are not a criminal....the thief is. Surely this would apply to a certificate?? You might get treated like a criminal by the powers that be but having anything stolen doesnt make you one. A theft from a car could happen anywhere, even if you were parked at the police station.
    I wasn't suggesting it's a criminal offence Peter - purely that they will take the opportunity to raise their eyebrows as it could be used for nefarious purposes. When I was young, I used to get pulled all the time in my car - I must have had a sign on the back....but it happened so often, I carried my docs with me. The car was stolen and they went mental when they found all the docs were in it as it could effectively be traded as a legit car and other forms of ID be created. This is a bit of a hangover I know, but we're meant to be responsible and all that. As has been said, they can check records easily enough these days (most cars will have direct remote access to the PND) and if a photocopy doesn't do, the equivalent of a seven day wonder to appear with the original (if as said before the officer concerned just doesn't know shooting) should more than suffice. We're not obliged (yet) to carry licences for the other lethal weapon we all have (the car), so the same should apply here - that's not to take away from the convenience of having it there when you do go to the RFD or whatever. Bought that lamp yet?!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Hi Si, Didnt think you were suggesting that sorry if it appeared that way as my thread followed yours. Havent got the lamp yet , still deciding.

Pete