Recommend me a lightweight moderator

Treacle Trackpad

Hi all

I've just had a new barrel fitted and want to do away with my T8 mod as I find it unballances the rifle and being a slip of a lad I want to keep weight to a minimum. I currently have a T8 (as stated) and a Northstar and both are, to me, on the heavy side.

My intention is to shoot un-modded where possible but some of my land requires a mod.

Other than the super expensive titanium mods what are my options? I want short as well as light as the barrel is 24" long so don't want a long muzzle can.

Cheers

ATEC CMM4 - super little thing. Modular, easy to clean, weighs nothing (well, I say nothing, but you know what I mean) c. £240. Well worth it.

I can see there might have to be a compromise between length and weight. I had my eye on a ASE S5 whicj adds 4" in length compared to the ATEC 7", but the ASE weighs more than twice what the ATEC does, coming in at 580g compared to 220g...

....always some compromise! I was going to put an ASE Utra on - until I tried the CMM 4 on the end of the rifle. Absolutely no competition, as the balance of the rifle feels unaffected. My compromise - didn't look as nice on the end of a stainless barrel.....!!

An alternative to the A-tec would be the Roedale Delta that would be a bit lighter.
The delta ultra light 4 baffle is around 175 grams and 5 baffle just under 200grams.
I think they would be just about the lightest on the market.... at the moment.
edi

I have both !
I bought the cmm4 to replace a knakered T8
I have a light weight .260 and thought it would be good to fit a cmm4 in place of the S5 that was on it. Before i put it on the rifle would produce a 15mm 3 shot group at 100m 1" high.
Put on the cmm4 it shot very wide and high So wide there was not enough movement on my scope ! Sh** i thought i must have a problem i then adjusted the scope to the old position refitted S5, Rifle shot dead on 1" high.
I have now fitted it on the .22-250 the T8 caame off and it shoots ok with that but it has a Bull barrel.

The CMM4 is a very light well made mod and longer than the S5 , To take out baffles makes it alot louder than the S5.

But if i was to buy again i would own two S5's

Thanks for the comments chaps. I've had a chance to look at an ATEC (thanks tartinjock) and to be honest was very surprised by the weight, or rather lack of. I think this mod might be the way ahead as apart for it's onvious length it was vertually un-noticable in terms of holding the bare rifle off hand and then again with the mod fitted. I reckon with one baffle removed it will be spot on.

Thanks for the offer but it's a bit of a treck from N.Yorks ;)

I have two cmm4 au mods, a m14 x1 and a m17x1 with spigot.
If you wanted to try one on your rifle or put a few shots through, you would be more than welcome to come over and try them.
I am about 45mins south of york . DF

Ordered an A-TEC CMM-4 Sound Moderator to go on my 30.06 when I got the variation through yesterday:D!! Wont collect it until early June though:(.

Sorted a A Tec for the boss last week and zeroed it for him. Serious piece of kit and much lighter than both my T8's

We'll have to convert the others Dave. I'l deffo be getting one, possibly two, just need to find the time and move on my T8 and NS.

Ordered an A-TEC CMM-4 Sound Moderator to go on my 30.06 when I got the variation through yesterday:D!! Wont collect it until early June though:(.

Got an ASE Utra SL5 for a .308 the other day on the recommendation of Dennis Groom. Tiny, dinky wee think that really works. About a third of the size of a T8!! Gets really hot though!!

guys looking at an a tec in the shop yesterday and was told that not as quiet as an ase jet z
any thoughts as about to buy one for a new rifle in 30 .06
your opinions appreiciated pete .

Back