Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Eye Treatment

Laser Eye Treatment

I wear glasses for distance only (mostly driving). I find them a royal pain in the A***E when out stalking, or any kind of shooting.

I am considering Laser Eye Treatment in order to ditch my glasses. I have heard nothing but good reports from people I know but none of them shoot. One reported that their eyes tend to water more than prior to the OP???

I would like to hear from any members who have had or are considering corrective eye surgery and how it has affected their shooting ....!

The cost of this type of remedial work is fairly reasonable if you offset the price of buyiing decent glasses.

Thanks in advance

Remmy

Hi,

Was the same as you short sighted and wore glassses for shooting, hated them on wet walked up days they steamed up, wildfowling could not wear face mask same reason, also I windsurf and its a right pain trying to see where you launched from when out to sea. So I bit the bullet 2 months ago and got both my eyes done, I now have 20 20 vision for distance, dont need to wear glasses for distance, great when using my bins, scope etc., Only down side is I now have to wear specs to read and work at the computer, not tied a fly yet but will need specs for that as stuff close up is a wee bit blurred. Up side is I can get specs for a pound a pair! So now have pairs in the car, garage and evey room in the house!

Not cheap but as you say no more contacts, or prescript specs and the other joy is I can now wear polarised sun glasses for fishing and driving. Operation is easy, get it done late afternoon, that way you can go home, go to bed and next morning you don't need to wear glasses to drive.

YIS

Bod

had it done a bit over a year ago, its been a success, I am able to use scopes, binos etc without any trouble, and after the first few days the aching went away. to be honest ,besides the waiting, the worse bit was the drops they put in your eyes to get the pupils to expand! God! but that was uncomfortable ! especially being driven home into a low sun! but that aside it was very easy and money well spent.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Man up and prove you are a Scot.. i used the angle grinder on mine now i can see the sun and that is millions of miles away!!

I had it done about nine years ago, so things might have changed alot since then.

After a lot of research, both at the various providers and on the net (I also spoke to my GP about it) I initially had the LASIK treatment which didn't go according to plan. To the credit of the company I had gone with, I was referred to Moorfields Eye Hospital. The Surgeon there was top notch, and recommended LASEK rather than LASIK, and after two two follow up treatments, sorted things out (although I still get 'starring' of oncoming car headlights when driving at night).

The difference between LASIK and LASEK treatments (and trying not to get too gory) is as follows:-

With LASIK, they cut a flap on your eye, lift it up, carry out the laser treatment, replace the flap and bob's your father's brother.

With LASEK, they actually dissolve the surface of your eye away, carry out the treatment and the eye surface has to regrow, which takes a minimum of two weeks (and if you do anything but office work, they'll tell you to take two weeks off).

Although with both treatments, the risks are very small, LASEK is by far the safest and most successful (according to the surgeon at Moorfields) and is the treatment type carried out on both fighter pilots and professional footballers. With both types, I believe that wavefront analysis is now pretty much standard.

As I said, this may be all a bit out of date, but nine years on, I'm still glad I had it done and haven't worn glasses since (although at my age, I'm going to need some soon for reading). Using rifle scopes is not a problem, although I've not used one with an illuminated recticle.

Had mine done over 5 years ago.Being long sighted it took a bit longer than usual to recover but well worth it.No problems at all can read any print there is and can tie flies.Saved what it cost several times over just in glasses

Any of you guys in your 50's?

I am thinking about it for curing short-sightedness, but will probably still have to wear specs to read etc.

Quote Originally Posted by newkid View Post
    Any of you guys in your 50's?

I am thinking about it for curing short-sightedness, but will probably still have to wear specs to read etc.
    "puts hand slowly into air"
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Having mine done on 1st june so will keep you posted.

I had mine done a few years and haven't looked (haha) back. Process was quick and painless and had better than 20/20 vision afterwards